Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,701   Posts: 1,548,421   Online: 1041

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Investigating Pt/Pd papers

I'm looking for new Pt/Pd papers, both for personal use and for addition to our catalog. I've obtained samples of several types, and would like to hear suggestions for other papers. Specifically, I'm looking for thinner papers that work well and have a good wet strength, as well as japanese papers.

The papers I'm working with so far:
    Ruscombe Buxton 160GSM
    Fabriano Artistico
    Stonehenge Natural White
    Arches Platine (Should have added this years ago)
    Strathmore 500 plate finish

Any comments or suggestions regarding these papers?

-Dana

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dana,

You probably know this, but the Fabriano needs to be acid treated prior to use. 5% oxalic for 10-15 minutes seems to do the job for recent batches. It seems to be even more buffered than it used to be.

Last time I tried Strathmore 500 it sucked. Acid didn't seem to help. This was probably over a year ago.

Rives BFK is a winner. Excellent for gumovers, as is Fabriano Artistico. Personally, I like the thinner version of BFK (175 gsm, I think), but the 280 gsm works well, too.

Are the Van Gelder papers gone for good? I miss Simili Japon/Socorro.

Hope that helps...
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik
    Last time I tried Strathmore 500 it sucked. Acid didn't seem to help. This was probably over a year ago.
    However, Strathmore 500 Single-ply Plate is an excellent paper for albumen printing and can be difficult to find, so it would be great if B&S were to stock it. Single-ply is easier to coat by the float method than heavier papers, and 500 Single-ply Plate seems to be the closest to what was used traditionally in the age of albumen printing.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik View Post
    Are the Van Gelder papers gone for good? I miss Simili Japon/Socorro.
    Agree with this, would love to find some Socorro - had just a few sheets to play with, nice paper.

Hope this brings out some new papers Dana, Thank You for pulling it together.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I really like both the 140lb and the 90lb weights of Arches Aquarelle. Needs an acid bath, but great paper. The 90lb has phenomenal wet strength, a very slightly warm base and light linen texture. It feels almost as thin as the Weston parchment but is infinitely stronger. Great for kallitypes, so I assume it would work for pt/pd.. I used to use Platine but the stuff is like a shingle.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I tried some Awagami Kozoshi 91g/m2 and it's vey nice. Much stronger than supposed for a 91 g/m2 paper. Easily brush coated. Need 2 drops more than usual on Arches Platine (I use 14 FO + 14 Pd for a 8x10") and about 1 step more exposure (x1.4). Clear easily.
    My normal printing paper is Arches Platine. It's a wonderful paper if you use it at very high hygrometric level, good temperature over 20°C et let the coating rest for 5mn before cold drying back side.
    Bad point, sometimes some black points, check paper against strong light before coating.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by payral View Post
    I tried some Awagami Kozoshi 91g/m2 and it's vey nice. Much stronger than supposed for a 91 g/m2 paper. Easily brush coated. Need 2 drops more than usual on Arches Platine (I use 14 FO + 14 Pd for a 8x10") and about 1 step more exposure (x1.4). Clear easily.
    My normal printing paper is Arches Platine. It's a wonderful paper if you use it at very high hygrometric level, good temperature over 20°C et let the coating rest for 5mn before cold drying back side.
    Bad point, sometimes some black points, check paper against strong light before coating.
    Here is the Kozoshi paper reference I use from Schleiper:
    AW21350016 Awagami Kozoshi - papier japonais - feuille 91g/m² - 97x64cm - 4 bords droits - naturel
    AW21350016 Awagami Kozoshi - japanese paper - leaf 91g/m² - 97x64cm - 4 straight edge - natural

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik View Post

Same here, but a friend has been getting some great results with palladium on Strathmore 500, with oxalic acid pre-soak. One of the virtues of this paper is that is has a very hard surface, and detail is better than I have seen with any paper with the iron processes, including COT 320.

Sandy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sandy - That's good news! Do you know where and when he/she got it??
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've bought Strathmore 500 Single-Ply Plate from Jerry's Artarama. They had the best price if you bought at least 25 sheets when I last checked. I gather from another albumenist who inquired that they don't have much 1-ply left and aren't likely to reorder, but if you're not doing albumen, 2-ply or heavier is probably better anyway, and it's pretty easy to find. I've seen it at Pearl Paint here in New York and at other places that sell watercolor and drawing papers.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin