Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,049   Online: 969

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

how stable is coated cyanotype paper ?

i am going on a trip sometime soon and was interested in
    making cyanotypes while i was there. my hope is to coat
    paper to take with me.

will coated cyanotype still be good days or weeks after coated?
    and will unexposed cyanotype paper be effected by xrays and airport issues?

thanks!

john

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've used cyanotype paper left in my closet for a couple of weeks. The only thing I notice is that the highlights become a bit veiled with time due to slight exposure of the paper (or maybe some other chemical reaction).

My closet is not light-tight (in fact, my wife always leaves the door open so weak filtered light is always leaking in). If it works under these conditions I'd guess you'd be okay for a couple of weeks with it stored in a light-proof paper box or something.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Large Format
    thanks walter

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I know you can still buy blueprint rolls, so it should certainly be possible. However, any time I've hand-coated paper (with a brush) and stuffed it into a black poly bag, it has 'developed' on me within a week, so I don't know what the trick is. Maybe it's the latent moisture of the paper or the humidity of my darkroom, but I've learned I couldn't count on it. So easy to coat before use, anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David;

Check your black bag. Many of them 'leak' light.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Whenever I coat cyanotype paper, i leave it for ages and never have paper fogging problems. But I'm apparently the exception to the rule. I've taken to wrapping mine loosely in foil when i want to store it outside of my bathroom or hallway neither place sees direct sunlight (and very little natural light). It's a nice simple way of storing it when you don't want to use a plastic photopaper bag.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    If it's in the dark, I have used it after a couple of weeks, but it shows fogging. Sometimes this is not a bad idea since it is so contrasty.

Keep in mind that the stuff is cheap, but the paper you put it on could be expensive. I would just try to coat as much as I intend to use and toss the mixture.

Make sure you post some images after you make them!!

l8r
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've stored it for 2-3 days inside of a tupperware bin with a large bag of _dry_ silica gel inside. Otherwise, the humidity begins to develop the paper. Atleast that is my experience. The paper turns turns blue-green and eventually a sort of brownish color, after which it is no longer sensitive to UV light.

I don't think i've tried to print paper that was older than 2-3 days, but I think the sealed container with dessicant helps.. Also ziplock bags are good too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have to agree with Mr. Dimor - my coated paper shows significant fogging and speed loss after three days no matter how it has been stored, including a plastic container with dessicant gel...

Russ

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    What if you added a little 1% potassium Dichromate to "emulsion"? This is generally used to increase contrast and might help reduce fogging?

What size are you wanting to precoat and take with you?

Corey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin