Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,437   Online: 947

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Silber View Post
    Any ideas on the "archivability" of a uranium toned print?

- Justin
    You might want to check out the link below, but it's certainly gonna last .......

http://www.ieer.org/fctsheet/uranium.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Justin,

I have an article on uranium toning in the Amateur Photographer Dictionary of Photography (1961). It has several recipes and also some notes on mixed copper and uranium toning. it does however say:

"The reputation for giving impermanent prints seems to have arisen because the final image is soluble in any alkaline solution, including ordinary tap-water. "

( Sowerby, A.L.M. (ed.) Dictionary of Photography: A Reference Book For Amateur and Professional Photographers (1961) London: Iliffe Books Ltd.)

It also gives a working method for Uranium printmaking, but doesn't note their permanence. It says they can be made by sensitising paper with 16% unranyl nitrate, and the addition of a 4% solution of eiher mercuric nitrate of copper sulphate has been recommended. Develop in either a 10% solution of pot ferri for reddish-brown tones, or a 5% solution of silver nitrate for a greyish image which can be toned.. You can also develop in a 1:500 solution of gold chloride brushed over the paper to give prurplish-black tones. After development, was in hydrochloric acid 1:80 and wash again thoroughly.

That's the gist of it. If you're still interested, i can scan the articles and bang them up on my webspace for you.
    testing...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Nah, those are just halflives for the radioactive nuclei. Doesn't mean anything with respect to other (non-nuclear) chemical transformations. I'd imagine it'd be similar to a Pt/Pd print.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Black View Post
    You might want to check out the link below, but it's certainly gonna last .......

http://www.ieer.org/fctsheet/uranium.html
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I agree that you'd need a compelling reason to want to print with uranium. But I'm not so quick to dismiss the novelty aspect. It would be kind of cool to have a couple of prints made this way. I'd probably hide them behind lead glass though
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'd strongly suspect that if you're concerned about the radioactivity of Uranium prints (or film,) you'd be well advised not to move to Cornwall!
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i've held this print of mateo's its absolutely beautiful.

good luck with your process!

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When I met Ed Buffaloe a couple of years ago he had a uranotype with him. It was a nice print, but for me the orange/red tone wasn't so appealing. I looked at it as more of a novelty type print than anything. I have no desire to mix uranium with my photography so I'll leave the uranotypes and uranium toning to you guys.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    From what I've read the danger with uranyl nitrate isn't radioactivity, since it seems to be made from depleted uranium and is lacking a large part of the radioactivity. The danger seems to be that the stuff is highly toxic and caustic, as well as potentially mutagenic and teratogenic. Since I'm lacking a suitable lab space it will be some time before I could potentially try this process. I'll start with Van Dyke and take it from there!

- Justin

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Radioactive lenses (early Summicrons, etc.) are probably MUCH radioactively hotter than a uranium toned print. I have two lenses that make my Gieger counter rather excited.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I first read about Uranium toning in about 2004 and had a single vision for using it. Lately, well it is just too late.
    I thought about printing an image of a TV screen with an aerial photo of a truck pulling away from a building in a desert setting, on the outside surface of an aluminum tube clearly marked ALCOA, via liquid emulsion.
    Probably it is better I just didn't do it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin