Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,103   Online: 798

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buxton paper

Shooter
    35mm RF

Buxton paper

Hello!
    Where can I get Buxton paper in the United States?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You might try New York Central Art Supply found at this link: [URL="http://www.nycentralart.com/"]

However, a paper with very similar sizing formulations and that is more widely found is Fabriano Artistico Extra White.

Hope that helps.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Two completely different papers. The Fabriano EW will probably require an acid bath to make it suitable for pt/pd printing. The Buxton will coat and print out of the pack. But the Buxton is a very expensive paper.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In response to Robert, the original poster did not specify how the paper was to be used. Fabriano is not "completely" different from Buxton. Both are Aquapel sized which for gum bichromate printing makes them both suitable. However, since I do not pt/pd print, I defer to your expertise as to their viability for that process.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    www.talasonline.com

here is a link to the product on their website.

http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/catal...roductID=24676

Nice paper

Corey

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Sizing is just one characteristic of paper. Have you done a side by side comparison of both papers? There is texture, color..ect...ect. Fabriano works well for gum because it doesn't change size much after it has been coated and then exposed and developed. This helps tremendously when you are doing more than one layer of gum as far as registering your negative. But you are correct, the original poster didn't mention which process he will be using. So you can't assume he is doing gum layers either. I think if you look closely at both papers you will see a significant difference. Without acidification the Fabriano EW is pretty much worthless for printing in most iron processes. ( unless something has changed in the past year with the manufacturing) At least that has been my experience with it. If I'm not mistaken I think Buxton was developed with the iron processes in mind.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In response to Robert, all I said was that the sizing characteristics of the papers are similar. I leave it to the original poster to determine if that is important. Also, I only said that Fabriano is more readily available, at least here in the US. I beleive that to be true. And, yes I have used Buxton with gum and it prints virtually identical to Fabriano. So since Fabriano is more readily availble and less expensive, I thought the orignal poster might want to consider that, too. I agree that Buxton seems to have been produced with iron processes in mind. The handmade quality, which to me is the major visual difference, is also appealing. However, the Aquapel sizing also makes Buxton it a good choice for gum, too. For producing quality gum prints, they are both, however, very capable papers producing similar results.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Again you are assuming that it will be used for gum printing. In which you are gelatine sizing the paper and then adding multiple layers of gum over it. This method is entirely different than the iron process where the solutions are permeated into the paper. It would be misleading to suggest that the two papers are close to being the same or similar in results without explaining how they react to all the processes. If without knowing what method the paper is intended for you recommend and suggest that these two papers are similar and then the printer goes to coat a sheet with an iron process, he will be highly disappointed to see the results. Even with acidification the two papers have different characteristics and aesthetics when being used with the iron processes.
    Last edited by RobertP; 04-28-2008 at 04:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Robert. I guess it's best to wait to hear from the original poster as to what the paper will be used for. I should have said that at my first post. Hopefully, with the other responses given, a source has been found for the Buxton paper. I still stand behind my first post, however, and only provided that information for the initial poster to consider. Now, as for gelatine, I gave that up long ago. I only use AKD sized paper. Others use gelatine with tremendous results, but gelatine is no longer the only approach to gum printing. I cannot speak for other processes.

Buxton and Fabriano are similar in results in that a good contrast, fairly sharp image can be obtained with either paper without any additional sizing. I say that with personal experience. By the way, I have seen wonderful cyanotypes on both papers.

Maybe all of this is moot as all the original poster wanted was to know where is to get Buxton. NYAS is where I got my few sheets several years ago.

By the way, this is my first ever post. I didn't expect to get flamed already. Please relax, I didn't mean any harm.
    Last edited by pjbtx; 04-28-2008 at 03:51 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin