Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,857   Posts: 1,583,082   Online: 896

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bob Schramm is the only person I know who has actually made a contemporary uranium print. He has also used uranium nitrate as a toner. There is a brief article by him on my http://unblinkingeye.com site. Keith Schreiber gave me some uranium nitrate at APIS, and I intend to experiment with it soon (very carefully).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The reason I suggested caution in the use of uranium-based chemicals came from one of my cached issues of Camera and Darkroom (Lord, fo I miss that magazine - even today many of the articles from ten years ago are of current interest). Someone once walked into rather old darkroom with a scintillometer and the thing went *nuts* recording all kinds of radioactivity - at considerably *more* than commonly acceptable levels - all traced to a can of Uranium Oxide (??? something like that) that had been in photographic processing use in the distant past.

I take pride in not panicking easily; at the same time. I would have to place uranium - whatever - in the "risk unknown" category.

I still have vivid memoriies of sifting through thousands (literally) of prints, material lists and specifications, searching for cadmium plated screws - or cadmium-plated anything - once common - so that we could ship our products to Europe.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin