Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,062   Online: 834

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I now have several grams of Uranyl Nitrate Hexahydrate and think why not try. I have found two different fomulae for the sensitizer, but both lead to doubt. . The first sensitizer is simply the Uranium in water (developed in Potassium Ferricyanide) and I'm having a hard time believing that it could produce much of an image at a reasonable speed. The second formula has Ferric Ammonium Citrate with the Uranium and also developes in Potassium Ferricyanide. It sounds like cyanotype with my hard to acquire chem doing nothing. Can anyone help?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Try the Bostick & Sullivan forum, they might have someone ther who has tried it. I think the uranyl nitrate would be better used as a toner, I remember reading somewhere it was used as toner for something, but I cant recall.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have found a few different formulae for use as a toner-it seems like it must have been common practice seventy years ago. I will try one after trying to sensitize paper. A red toned silver print just doesn't sound too exciting. Thanks for the B&S idea; I should of thought of that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateo
    I have found a few different formulae for use as a toner-it seems like it must have been common practice seventy years ago. I will try one after trying to sensitize paper. A red toned silver print just doesn't sound too exciting. Thanks for the B&S idea; I should of thought of that.
    I think if I had that stuff, I'd dump it. It *IS* radioactive - to what degree, I don't know, and I'm sure that photographers of the time that it was in use did not know either.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've seen uranium prints. They're a strange red/brown color. Check unblinkingeye.com for an article on uranium printing.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The main historical use for Uranium seems to have been as a negative intensifier. In this use, it is said to outperform even mercury, and so should be useful for making darkroom blinds

I believe Uranotypes are an Iron process - like Pd/Pt and vanDyke. But unlike most others the image isn't formed by metal, but by insoluble oxides. The U(VI) in the Uranyl Nitrate is reduced to U(IV), probably as brownish black Uranium Dioxide.

But that is probably more than you wanted to know?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You might check the archives of the alt-photo-process list. I recall that someone was working with this process a while back. I think it was Bob Schramm but can not recall for sure. In any event if you are interested the archives are at http://www.usask.ca/lists/alt-photo-process/

Sandy King

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Mr King,
    Thank you for the link. There was a thread where the person you mentioned gave the exact two formulae that I have.

Mr Sukach,
    I appreciate your concern regarding the Uranium chemistry. I take chemical safety very seriously. Other more common compounds such as Potassium Dichromate, Oxalic acid, Pyrogallol, Selenium, et al, merit equal caution. I won't be dumping any chemistry but I thank you for the reminding me that these things should be taken seriously.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would have done, but I sold my uranium to a funny-looking guy with a moustache and military uniform who said he was making some very big prints - wouldn't tell me where his darkroom was though!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You'd never be able to find it anyway....

IIRC Uranotypes are pretty safe RADIOACTIVELY. But the stuff is probably not good to ingest....
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin