Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,774   Posts: 1,516,627   Online: 1088

Thread: Cotton paper

Shooter
    Medium Format

Cotton paper

I was reading an interesting article in this months Ag Photography about contact printing and liquid emulsions.

I'm looking for recommendations on artist's cotton printing paper which will accept silver gelatin liquid emulsions. Something textured and suitable for this type of emulsion.

Thanks.

Bergger uses the COT-320 paper for their Silver Supreme papers, so I would assume a liquid emulsion would work just fine.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm assuming that COT-320 is a Bergger product. I would just use Silver Supreme in that case. I'm looking for alternatives. What papers are Pt/ Pd printers using? Are these suitable?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A lot of folks use Arches Platine paper. I've used it for Van Dykes, salt prints and albumen. I've seen others use it for kallitypes and platinum. I'm currently trying out Strathmore 500 that most art supply houses list as Bristol Board. The Arches has a smooth side and a somewhat more textured side. The Strathmore is smooth on both sides. Bostick and Sullivan sells a number of papers that are suitable for alt process.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Holliday View Post
    I'm assuming that COT-320 is a Bergger product. I would just use Silver Supreme in that case. I'm looking for alternatives. What papers are Pt/ Pd printers using? Are these suitable?
    Some plt/pld printers use COT-320, it is a Bergger product but is not a coated paper (it's origin can be trace to Arches Platine, though they are not the same exact paper). There are a number of papers used by plt/pld printers, would think a quick search on the site would find several...Lenox, Fabriano Artistico Extra White, Rives BFK, Stonehenge, and on and on.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Juan, Are you giving the Strathmore an acid bath of oxalic acid before you use it? If so, at what strength? Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't tried the Strathmore with a process needing oxalic acid yet, so I'm not sure.
    juan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've a lot of reading to do on this subject and I'm looking to narrow the choices for suitable paper. I've been reading about Buxton paper also although it may work out to be too expensive.

What would be the minimum gsm suitable?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Gary, Some papers work very well for pt/pd straight from the mill. Papers like Buxton and were developed with the pt/pd process in mind. Some papers will work well but need to be pretreated first in order to get the ph where it needs to be for the process. Papers like Fabriano Artistico EW is a good example of a paper that needs pretreating with oxalic acid before it will work well with the pt/pd process. As far as gsm goes. I've used Buxton 180 for 8x20 prints. They also make a 240gsm but I haven't tried it. The 240 may work better for those large ULF negatives, just for the simple fact that being heavier (most of the time) means better wet strength. The papers I use that don't require any pretreating are, Weston's Parchment, Arches Platine, Buxton, and Swiss Opaline but I'm sure there are others out there.
    Last edited by RobertP; 05-07-2008 at 03:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the info Robert, would silver gelatine liquid emulsions be fussy about ph levels?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin