Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,024   Online: 884

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Great Daguerreotype Workshop by JG Motamedi

Just a quick public thanks to Jason Motamedi for conducting an excellent Daguerreotype (Becquerel) workshop this weekend in NYC at Jeff Berliner's Center for Alternative Photography.

All particpants went hands-on multiple times through the entire process - plate prep, sensitizing, exposing, developing and mounting. At the end, I felt entirely confident that I could (after some practice) produce a reasonable result independently.

Thanks, again, to Jason, Jeff, and the quality staff at CAP.

Charley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really wish things like this happened in the Midwest! I hadn't seen a daguerreotype in person until the new building opened up at the Nelson-Atkins Museum in Kansas City. There were some mid-1800's ones and one from the last ten years or so. They just floored me.

So, Jason Motamedi, come to Kansas City and you'll have at least one enthusiastic workshop participant
    www.cjphillipsphoto.com

"Technology is a big destroyer of emotion and truth. Opportunity doesn't do anything for creativity. Yeah, it makes it easier and you can get home sooner, but it doesn't make you a more creative person. That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field.. ease of use." - Jack White

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks Charley! It was a lot of fun.

I haven't been around here (APUG) for quite a while, but it is always nice to feel welcomed.

Chris, I would certainly consider coming to Kansas City, but need to find a venue first.

jason

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Chris I shoot wet plate collodion similar in effort, different in style to the Daguerratype and I can tell you Jason's work in both fields is exemplary and would be well worth the effort to get him out to you. Steve Wilson who can be found over at Hallmark and Bob Szabo both live in or quite near Kansas City and both are excellent practicioners of wet plate collodion. ( you may already know both of these men so if I'm overstating the obvious please forgive) Maybe if you hooked up with both of them they might be able to put you in contact with the kinds of people/photographers that would be interested in attending one of Jason's workshops and in securing a venue for Jason to conduct his workshop, so that you might pull this off. I'm not sure if you were merely complimenting Jason or serious about getting him out there but I wanted to let you know there are some photographers in your backyard that are outstanding artists in their own right that will help you make this a reality for you. Like the sappy movie said, 'build it and they will come'. Hope this is helpful. And Jason hang around more, and post more pictures of your current work, both your insight and your work are missed

Best,

Zebra,

Monty

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks very much Monty!

Forgive the digression, but the reason I am not 'hanging' here right now is that my darkroom (primarily dip-tanks and fumehoods) is in boxes after our move from Mexico to Portland. I don't really expect it to making plates for another few months, and honestly, hanging out here is just pouring salt into that wound.

I will be back soon enough, once my collodion is flowing and my iodine fuming.

Until then, thanks.

jason

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Zebra, thank you very much for the information. I'm still skimming the surface of the process, so I'll probably want to grasp it a bit more before I dive in for a workshop. It's wonderful to know that Jason is out there, willing to teach; it gives me more motivation to chase this arduous undertaking.

I don't know Steve Wilson or Bob Szabo but I'll surely get in contact with them when the time is right. It'd be great if I could see their work somewhere in the area! I haven't seen any modern wet plate collodion in person, but I'd really love to.

Thanks again,
    Chris
    www.cjphillipsphoto.com

"Technology is a big destroyer of emotion and truth. Opportunity doesn't do anything for creativity. Yeah, it makes it easier and you can get home sooner, but it doesn't make you a more creative person. That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field.. ease of use." - Jack White

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin