Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,269   Online: 738

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Making Gum Arabic from powder

I'm making the gum arabic from powder in the ratio of 1:2 as it states on unblinkingeye.

However to preserve the gum it says to put 10 grams thymol in 10 cc of isopropyl alcohol, and what i was wondering was whether i could just put 10g of thymol in the mixed gum arabic, or is there anything else i could mix it (that would be available from a local supermarket as i don't have time to order in any more chemicals) with and also what quanity do i need of the gum arabic so i can add the 10g of thymol.

Finally how long will the gum arabic last without any preservitive?

Thanks for any replies and sorry for all the questions.

Shakey

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
    I'm making the gum arabic from powder in the ratio of 1:2 as it states on unblinkingeye.

However to preserve the gum it says to put 10 grams thymol in 10 cc of isopropyl alcohol, and what i was wondering was whether i could just put 10g of thymol in the mixed gum arabic,
    You will only need a drop or two of the thymol solution.

Finally how long will the gum arabic last without any preservitive?

Shakey
    The gum will sour pretty quickly without a preservative. Thymol is pretty cheap but you can use a couple of ml of plain Listerine in a pinch (which may cost more than a small quantity of Thymol).

Don't worry about the questions - worry about the answers you get.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    35mm
    i've already got the thymol, it's just that it stated to add it too isopropyl alcohol. I was just wondering whether i could dissolve it in distilled water and then add it, or add it as it is while i make the solution up

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    i've already got the thymol, it's just that it stated to add it too isopropyl alcohol. I was just wondering whether i could dissolve it in distilled water and then add it, or add it as it is while i make the solution up
    It will dissolve more readily in the alcohol. Add the thymol solution after the gum is mixed and then stir for a bit.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The alcohol is there to act as a dispersant, as two drops of oil of thymol will just sit there as a blob and not mix well.
    The oil will disperse in the alcohol, and when this mix hits a water based solution, it will "Cloud out" making a ultra fine dispersion allowing it to be mixed throughout your gum batch.

If you want to see the effect, drop some surgical spirit into plain tap water. Surgical spirit (IIRC) contains lanolin dissolved in the alcohol.
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    35mm
    i've added roughly 1 gram of thymol to 1cm3 of isopropyl alcohol(which i found out the local chemist sold), then added this thymol to 150ml of gum arabic in the ratio of 1:3. is this enough thymol.

Thanks again for everyone's replies

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bit confused as to how much was added to what, as there are a few ratios and the like.

you made a 1g per ml solution of thymol in IPA Yes?

and then you added how much to the 150ml of Gum Arabic solution

Its the 1:3 bit thats confusing me, or is that the description of your gum arabic solution which is the standard strength artists gum arabic solution.

If you're adding a gram of Thymol (Dissolved in your 1ml of IPA) into 150ml of Gum Arabic, that should be more than enough
    Last edited by Aurum; 06-11-2008 at 01:15 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Had a cunning plan Baldrick
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    35mm
    sorry to confuse everyone, reading over it doesn't sound very clear!

Sorry i've also got my numbers wrong, what i actually did was add 25gram of gum arabic powder to 100ml of water making 125ml gum arabic solution of which now makes a ratio of 1:4 which i did't mean to do just wasn't thinking at the time when i made up the solution i added 50ml of water instead of 25ml.

Shooter
    35mm
    Tea tree oil contains relevant terpenes, and so far in my experience, disperses well by itself in aqueous solutions and mixes. You can get it at some markets. It's safer for most people than most essential oils, and goes a very long way. Use common sense, of course, and check for allergies before using it extensively. I often use it in combination with rosemary oil if I also need an antibacterial.

A drop or two in a pint is good. Make sure it's pure essential oil.

Hope that helps.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by biss9411 View Post
    Tea tree oil contains relevant terpenes, and so far in my experience, disperses well by itself in aqueous solutions and mixes. You can get it at some markets. It's safer for most people than most essential oils, and goes a very long way. Use common sense, of course, and check for allergies before using it extensively. I often use it in combination with rosemary oil if I also need an antibacterial.

A drop or two in a pint is good. Make sure it's pure essential oil.

Hope that helps.
    Interesting. My wife sells pure essential oils so I'll ask her to get some for me. You can also add 3 drops of lavendar to a gallon of latex paint. After mixing the paint after smell is eliminated!
    Don Bryant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin