Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,190   Online: 686

Shooter
    35mm

Something different

So, i've started developing my own paper and film, and i'm loving it, the question is, can i have some fun swapping the chemicals around - i know what i'm doing as far as cross processing films goes, but my question is, what would happen if I processed paper in film chemicals, or in a mixture of the two chemicals. I'm usinng Ilford Multigrade developer, and Ilford DD-X film developer.

So, what would happen?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Paper developers usually produce higher contrast with films than film developers, and film developers may produce higher fog and lower contrast with prints, but there have also been "universal" developers designed for both prints and film. Try it and see for yourself. Nothing is going to blow up!
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I shall do, i've got some old film dev left over from the other day, i'll give it a go with that first. Test out my new enlarger.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The rule is, if you can't afford to lose it, follow the rules, otherwise the only thing you'll have spent is your time, and only you know the value of that.

And if it all works, you've got something to show off and brag about here

I've got a few rolls of C41 35mm film I got for a quid a pop a while back, so I might do something of the same after I've devloped a load of 120 at the weekend
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    Multi Format

'cross' processing

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Paper developers usually produce higher contrast with films than film developers, and film developers may produce higher fog and lower contrast with prints, but there have also been "universal" developers designed for both prints and film. Try it and see for yourself. Nothing is going to blow up!
    Which reminds me that a number of years ago, thanks to an article in a photographic related journal, I was tempted to try and replicate the results acquired by the author when he used Dektol at (about) 1:31 for (about) 20 min at 20°C for processing his B/W film... a dilution that made a considerable financial benefit with more than respectable results. I plead guilty to procrastination and will now have to find that article for a re-read.

Ken
    Quando omni flunkus moritati (R. Green)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin