Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,211   Posts: 1,531,989   Online: 1116

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    hi Loris - have no idea what sumac is or whether it is possible to get here in Denmark....

BUT:

I have now tried walnut snaps... (walnut in vodka for about 6 months), and it gives a very deep beautiful brown tone - especially in the highlights..

A shame it taste so good...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    reviving this oldish thread.

My girlfriend has just made her first tonings of cyanotypes, made with a "tea" of oak tree bark - and it works really well! No need to go buy that tanning acid!

Fun, and easy to do. And it works quick too...

I wonder how walnut or willow would do... off to experiment!
    Very interesting, Emil. Just by coincidence, last time I stopped at the vintners' supply shop, they didn't have any tannic acid, but they gave me a teabag of oak.
    I'll have to try it out.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I like to use gallic acid to create iron gall ink using the new cyanotype process. I think this is the closest to a black silver print possible with this process. It is my experience that for the redevelopment (after bleach) to use distilled water and freshly mixed gallic acid. The mixture should be used immediately as once the gallic acid oxidizes it will cause the pigment to migrate throughout the paper causing spots, bleeding, etc. If it is fresh, quickly done, and well washed, it will work. If you dally, you will have a problem.

I have done extensive research into the stability of the iron gall ink. Will it last 1000 years? maybe, depending on how it is stored. Do I care? not really. It only needs to last me 75 yrs until I don't care anymore.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    I have now submitted examples of my playing around in the galleries...

see here: (oak tree)

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showimage.php?i=66216&c=2

and walnut snaps here:

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showimage.php?i=66217&c=2

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    ..and now I have tried Walnut. Walnut bark in a bottle - then boiling water on it and let it soak for a long time (mine soaked for at least two days, but I don't know whether that is nessecary..)

Old cyanotype soaked for about 10 min.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cyan-charlotte.jpg  

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin