Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,315   Posts: 1,536,706   Online: 932

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Wow! Denise's little black leather...

Last week I spent another wonderful time at Photographer's Formulary in Condon Montana. Sandy King and his exceptional carbon process class. The man knows his stuff and has a box of prints to prove it. If offered again, don't mess around, get your name on the list, take the class, count your blessings.

I spent most evenings and late into the wee small hours of the morning working on the process and learning the techniques offered. While waiting for exposures to come to fruition I would often retire into the front lecture room area and relax with a cup of coffee and read. One evening Bud, left a little 3 ring black leather book on the table. It had been prepared and put together by Denise Ross.

I, as most of us, have been aware of the interest and ideas on emulsion making presented here on APUG.

I was not ready for what I saw in Denise's little black leather book. The lady has been a bit too modest.

The tonalities and and print quality attainable at this time totally caught me by surprise. The examples were lovely and exceptional. Congrats Denise. I had no idea....it's all looking really really good!
    Last edited by Dave Wooten; 06-29-2008 at 03:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you! Dave,

I know that work is supposed to be its own reward (and I do love the work) but I must say, it is very nice to hear the supportive words.

Denise

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    DIY emulsions can be tailored to your taste, right Denise?

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Denise, would you please post some of your prints? Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the plug, Ron! and thank you for the interest, Tim.

Yes, today it is possible to produce a graded paper with just about any characteristic you want starting from any number of watercolor papers. You can choose texture, base color, and emulsion color and then further influence them through developer choice and toning.

In addition, negative emulsions are coming right along - either dry plate or the subbed film that the Formulary will hopefully start stocking again.

And, my current favorite application - Silvergum (gum over emulsion).

Here are a few examples: 'Yaquina Bowl Storm': emulsion over Fabriano Artistico HP watercolor paper, 'Snow Dusting' on the commercial baryta paper sold by Photographers Formulary, 'Pancho & Herman': 5x7 dry plate (glass negative) enlarged and printed on Ilford Multigrade, and a crop of the same, and 'Aquarium Village Pirate': 5-color gum ('Silvergum')

And there's more
    http://www.thelightfarm.com/Map/Cont...sionThumbs.htm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails YaquinaBowl-print.jpg   Pancho&Herman.jpg   Pancho&Herman-crop.jpg  
    Last edited by dwross; 08-03-2008 at 10:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I must say that at first I felt kind disappointed that "Denise's little black leather..." was a book, then I was jealous that I couldn't appreciate the real thing, but in the end I am happy to have a glimpse of what seem to be really charming and beautiful work. I say glimpse and what seems to be as I am sure they lose so much on screen...
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Very nice Denise. Thanks for posting.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've just spent some time reviewing your website, Denise. Outstanding. You've given me a new area of interest. Thanks!
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For more pictures made from similar emulsions, you may wish to look at the prints that Alex Hawley posted using my handcrafted paper and you may be interested in the fact that Kodak has printed some of these pictures in their internal newsletter. You may also wish to see David Goldfarbs comments on a print he has seen.

Denise is making fine emulsions and is a fine photographer to boot! Keep at it Denise and maybe someday there will be more people making emulsions than just we few.

I am considering another workshop next year at the Formulary in spite of my reluctance to do all of that traveling, and I have also been considering doing an advanced course that covers pumped delivery of multiple ingredients and Ultrafiltration for washing and concentration. This should yield an ISO 100 - 400 speed ortho film, but I have not completed the work here in my own lab.

This field is wide open to fine art photography!

PE

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Any updates on progress of dry plate negs?
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin