Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,983   Online: 932

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Contact frame glass

I've made a contact printing frame to use for my 8x10 carbon printing and I have a question on the glass to use with the frame. Do I need to use a special tempered glass from a glass shop or can I use the stuff you get at Lowes? I will be using a 450 watt mercury vapor bulb about 18" from the frame and exposures could run 15-20 minutes? I'm going to have a fan on it to keep it cool but will the glass explode from the heat? I had another Alt printer tell me that I need special glass. Is this true? Thanks for the help.

Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Jim, I replaced my glass on my NuArc 26 1K with regular plate glass. Just make sure they don't sell you glass with UV blocker. Ask you friend, the alt printer, how long has he been doing alt processes, not counting today? My glass works fine under 1000 watts. I think sometimes people just try to make things way to complicated.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Jim,

First of all, what size is the print frame. These are some of the things that I have used,
    For old 8x10 print frames some old glass plate negs (clean off the emulsion)

No glass plates, use framers glass (non UV coated) take a piece of white matt board into the shop and check for coatings (put the matt board down and then the glass, cover only half the board, check for changes in color.)

You can use regular window glass but it has other things in it. If the glass is to green or to yellow you will have problems.

So look for the clearest glass you can find and that will work just fine,

Hope this helps

Jan Pietrzak

The show is still up at Freestyle Photographic Supply

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan Pietrzak View Post
    Jim,

First of all, what size is the print frame. These are some of the things that I have used,
    For old 8x10 print frames some old glass plate negs (clean off the emulsion)

No glass plates, use framers glass (non UV coated) take a piece of white matt board into the shop and check for coatings (put the matt board down and then the glass, cover only half the board, check for changes in color.)

You can use regular window glass but it has other things in it. If the glass is to green or to yellow you will have problems.

So look for the clearest glass you can find and that will work just fine,

Hope this helps

Jan Pietrzak

The show is still up at Freestyle Photographic Supply
    Jan, thanks. The size of the frame is 10x12. I will take your advice and check for color problems.
    I can't remember if I told you this but the image at Montana de Oro of the tree's is a great composition. I took one from about the same location with the 4x5 some time ago but could never get a decent print. Yours is great!

Robert, it looks like the edges of the glass are green. I think my friend was talking about clear glass with no UV blockers in it. Guess I need to go to the glass shop.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Fitzgerald; 07-18-2008 at 10:01 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: left out info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim, I bought a sheet of certified optically clear glass 13 x 15 inches and 1/4 inch thick with the certification for that sheet of glass from the Surplus Shed some time back. It's absolutely clear and flat, certifiably so. I use it for what contact printing I do. You might want to check them out.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No need to find something special Jim. Most single weight glass that you will find in any hardware will do just fine as long as it is not UV blocking. Be sure to use a sharpening stone or some sort of emory cloth on the edges and corners to dull them from cutting you.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Curt, I'll check them out. Thanks for the source.

Bill, I got some window glass from the local Lowes and it has the smooth green edges. I don't know if it is UV blocking or not. Does anyone know how to tell?

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    I don't know if it is UV blocking or not. Does anyone know how to tell?
    Hi Jim,

In most cases this will be specified in the description, "UV coated". I would think it more of a specialty item than might be found at Lowes, but I can't be sure of that. I guess the easiest way to tell would be to print something through it unless you have a UV meter.

Hope this helps... Good luck!

BTW- My Nuarc has the same green edges and the glass works fine.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Bill, thanks very much. I'll give it a try.

By the way I'm loving the images you are posting in the gallery. I wish I could have come up your way to shoot. All of the images that have been posted look fantastic. Maybe next time.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    I wish I could have come up your way to shoot.
    It would be great to have you up Jim! Please keep it in mind for next year. And THANKS for the kind comments on the work. Means a great deal.

Best, Bill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin