Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,434   Online: 1154

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Printing on fixed silver gelatin paper

I have read that some people use fixed out silver paper and was thinking of using a stack of 5x7 RC paper that I have sitting around and will probably never use for darkroom printing. Would RC paper work? And are regular photo papers too alkaline for Cyanotypes?

Any further information of using regular photo paper for alt. printing would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Anupam

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I just don't see how you would get a good even coating with cyanotype on a rc (or even fiber) paper. It would seem to be non-absorbent. That said, I would encourage you to try it out and let us know!

Jon
    Last edited by Jon Shiu; 07-25-2008 at 05:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I use fixed-out photopaper as the final support for carbon printing, which is quite different that trying to coat it with cyanotype chemicals. I remember reading of someone successfully coating it with platinum chemicals, but have not much further info on that. I do remember it is tricky to get an even coating. One purpose was to get a very sharp print.

Jon, it must be somewhat absorbent as chemicals can enter the emulsion (developers, fixers, toners, etc).

Vaughn

After some thinking, one might try fixing out the photopaper with a non-hardening fixer, washing it, then slipping it into a slightly alkaline bath (Sodium carbonate perhaps) to soften the emulsion even more, then a good wash if one's process does not like an alkaline environment. Don't allow the paper to dry as this could reharden the gelatin elmulsion.

It might be more effective to coat watercolor paper (or other paper) with gelatin instead of using photopaper, if one wanted the sharpness..
    Last edited by Vaughn; 07-26-2008 at 05:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've tried it. It's horribly resistant to the cyanotype liquid.
    big scan of it here http://www.stargazy.org/photos/cyano...paper-apug.jpg
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Craig Koshyk has developed techniques for what you want, and is publishing a manual this Fall, see Vouloir c'est Pouvoir . From an email exchange, I tried some of his techniques which yielded prints with greater detail. However, did have problems of solarization for Kallitypes.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Heather, did you try any special preparation of the fixed-out photopaper?

vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Nope, just tried brushing on dry. But your recommendation of making it more alkaline would be bad for cyanotypes anyway (makes them fade away very quickly)
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    After the alkaline bath, a good wash would be needed...I think the gelatin would remain soft.

Vaughn

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have made a few prints on the Back side of fiber silver gel paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Has anyone tried using the baryta paper that Photographers' Formulary sells? If it coated well it would add a degree of sharpness for folks who would rather skip the do-it-yourself step of gelatin coating (and it has a smoother surface than most watercolor papers).
    d

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin