Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,974   Posts: 1,558,726   Online: 799

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yes but considering what most people work with in alt processes, a few free radicals is the least of their worries usually.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If they are free, I'll have some. Will they make my cyanotypes work?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm
    UV curing materials have been around for a long time, I cant see dental polymer being much use in image making. you would be better off using a ready made photopolymer plate:

http://www.silverclayart.com/ppplates-instr.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeaLq-71hk4

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That dental epoxy is working in essentially the same way as quite a few alt-process printing methods like carbon, Gum Bichromate and Casein.
    The Bichromate is the sensitiser, and causes crosslinking of the substrate when exposed to UV.
    It also works with PVA kids glue if you want to try it out with cheap as chips materials

If you want a commercial epoxy like material to try out, there are epoxy adhesives that UV cure. Some designed for repairing pottery, others such as UV cured etch resist for use on copper PCB boards, Screen printing was also mentioned above as well.

Another thing you could try is UV cured body filler paste from an auto supply shop like Halfords in the UK. The UK brand Holts has one that is designed to go off in Bright sunlight. Surprisingly in the UK the standard chemical initiated 2 pack seems to sell better!!

The only downside of a lot of the commercial products, is that they are UV initiated, so once they're set off they go to completion with no intermediate level. Its all or nothing, so useful for lith type work, but may be a bit "High Contrast" in comparison to the Bichromate systems .

I am tempted at some point to try UV cured etch resist on copper board. The results could look well smart if it goes right. (But B***dy expensive if it doesn't!)
    Last edited by Aurum; 08-21-2008 at 01:04 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling and bits I forgot to add
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I don't care about the dental material, I want that UV Flashlight! While I believe that some materials need UVC to be cured, if the flashlight puts out some UVA and UVB, what a great tool for burning in platinum prints and carbon prints it might make! Need a little more exposure in the upper right hand corner? Whip out the UV Flashlight and burn that nasty corner down!

Vaughn

Just checked on the UV flashlights...they seem to produce an average range of 400 to 500, some went down to 390. So might work, but between the low power and the length of the waves, burning in might take a long while!...for >$400!
    Last edited by Vaughn; 08-24-2008 at 02:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin