Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,765   Posts: 1,516,380   Online: 1023

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Where can one buy 'cover boxes' ?

Does anyone know where I can buy a couple cover boxes with dippers?

These are the wooden boxes used in wet plate processes that hold either the silver or fixer baths, have a stand that hold it in place at a 45 degree angle or so, and have a plastic 'dipper' that allows one to slide the glass plate in and out of the box easily.

I have been using trays, but I'd like to get these boxes. I've checked the obvious suspects - Photographer's Formulary, B&S, Freestyle, etc... - no avail.

Thanks, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Steve Silipigni makes the best. srsblackart@gmail.com.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    RobertP and Jerevan,

Thanks so much for the leads.

Star Camera Company was the source of equipment for NYC fashion photographer Michael Mazzeo, who was a former student of France Scully Osterman and John Coffer.

Steve Silipigni's equipment is recommended by Quinn Jacobson, but I was given a different e-mail addy for him at:ssilipigni@frontiernet.net. I'll send an e-mail to both addresses. He also appears to make a portable darkroom to process one's ambrotypes in the field. Check it out here: http://bryanhiott.com/ scroll about half way down.

I was also told Photographer's Formulary makes them custom in about 2 weeks, but I would have to call them.

In fact I am going contact all three and compare prices and construction. Thanks again.

Regards, Art.
    Last edited by gr82bart; 08-10-2008 at 12:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Art, I own both, a Star 11x14 tailboard camera, silver box and fixer box. I also own the largest Silipigni darkbox with silver box he has made to date.( will do up to 12x20 plates) Silipigni's products are definitely superior quality. Coffer now recommends them himself. Though they do cost a little more. Silipigni will start making wet plate cameras in 2009. Here's a pic of my darkbox. http://www.apug.org/forums/attachmen...1&d=1218391875
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2008-03-14_075104_IMG_0102_2.jpg  

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Art, Both of those email addresses for Silipigni will work. Steve is actually working with Mark Osterman on the new camera designs. Which is convenient since they are both in Rochester.
    Last edited by RobertP; 08-10-2008 at 02:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Got some prices from Steve if anyone else is interested:
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve

6. PLATE RACK - This rack is built with a V groove and will hold twelve plates. It is available in walnut, cherry or oak. * $40.00
    • * For a rack to hold plates larger than 11 x 14 add 50%.
    • * For each additional groove, (6 maximum) add $4.00.
    7. SILVER BOX WITH LID – Standard box is available in pine or poplar. For walnut, cherry, or oak add 20%.
    • *$60.00 Up to whole plate *Add $25.00 for stand if needed*
    • *$90.00 Up to 11 x 14 *Add $25.00 for stand if needed*
    8. FIXER BOX NO. 1 - This fixer box is used inside the dark box. It comes with a lid to keep down the fumes. Standard box is available in pine or poplar. For walnut, cherry, or oak add 20%.
    • * $60.00 Up to whole plate
    • * $90.00 Up to 11 x 14
    9. FIXER BOX NO. 2 - This fixer box is used outside the dark box. It comes with a hinged lid to keep debris from entering the fixer solution. It also comes with an attached fold in stand. Fixing outside the dark box gives you more room inside the dark box. Standard box is available in pine or poplar. For walnut, cherry, or oak add 20%.
    • * $85.00 Up to whole plate
    • * $110.00 Up to 11 x 14
    10. PLEXI BOX - I use ¼” plexiglass. Includes dipper. Plexi box is to be used with item numbers 7, 8 and 9.
    • * $35.00 Up to whole plate
    • * $50.00 Up to 8 X 10
    • * $55.00.00 Up to 11 x 14
    11. HELPER TRAY - I use ¼” plexiglass.
    • * $30.00.00 Up to whole plate
    • * $40.00.00 Up to 11 x 14
    All looks very well built

Regards, Art.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 112_1_1.jpg   IMG_0440_2.jpg   IMG_0442_3.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Had a great chat with Steve a few nights ago. I think I just bought my own Christmas present! Anyway, Steve launched a new website: http://www.blackartwoodcraft.com/

Regards, Art.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Art -

You could build your own. Not THAT difficult... So far I have completed a plate rack, polishing vice and I've cobbled together one tank but I need to make the slip box for it yet. Also have about 2/3 complete a taliboard camera. All sized for 1/2 plate. Seems like a nice "starter" size.

I bought Otto Dipold's books (he sells them through eBay) and took bits and pices from his designs to make my own stuff. Also taken the time, as you have I see, to scope out what else is out there and look closely at the posted images. With apologies to Tom Leher, "Plagerize! Plagerize! Why do you think the good Lord made your eyes?" Seriously, I'm trying to make all my equipment myself (lens will probably be the exception) by taking the best features I find and combining them.

Or I might have a bon fire if it doesn't work out...
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rwyoung View Post
    You could build your own. Not THAT difficult.
    Hard to build anything on a plane or in the airport. Plus I barely have a life as it is.

Regards, Art.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin