Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,548   Online: 828

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks Sandy, going back to my notes I did let it get too hot, I suppose I hydrolised the gelatin. That frame idea is excellent. I have not seen the link but I get your drift. That is one of those.."why didnt I think of that"....

Aggie the dog is bathed, she wants to do it again..lol...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Aggie,

Here is the link again. I may have cut and pasted an extra coma or period or something first time around.

http://rmp.opusis.com/carbon/carbon.html

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Great Sandy, lots of good info in the link. Another question I had was how "dark" should the solution look, seeing the pics was great, I now have an idea what to look for. Thanks again for your great help and info.....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    As a rough guide to how dark the pigmented solution should be, once you get it mixed up allow a drop or two to fall on a piece of plain white paper. It should be absolutely opaque, that is, you should not be able to see through the pigmented solution to the paper.

Pigments vary a lot in strength but if you are using tube watercolors I suspect that yoiu will need something on the order of 8-10g of pigment per liter of solution.

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks again Sandy, that is the way it looks in the pictures....it was a great help...BTW the sensitometric data you provide in the site is also a great help...saved me a lot of testing......

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Jorge,

Just wondered if you were aware of the fact that Bostick and Sullivan will be offering carbon tissue for sale in the near future. Dick has been working on the coating procedures and apparatus for over two years. Says that I gave him the carbon virus with my carbon presentation at APIS two years ago. In any event I have been beta testing his tissue for some months now and it is almost ready for the market.

Most likely I will continue to make most of my own tissue since I like to adjust the color of all my to tissue to something in the original scene, but it will be nice to have the commercial product there as a back-up.

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks Sandy, I was aware he was doing this. I visit the B&S site regularly. Do you know if he will be offering pigments as well?

I would like to learn how to make my own and, like you, be able to vary the color. The cathedral shot you have on the book is absolutely fabulous, the warm tone you chose fits it like a glove, very, very nice. I would love to learn how to do it like this.

Thanks again for your help.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A good place to buy pigments is Douglas & Sturgess in San Francisco. http://artstuf.com/pigments-dyes-colorants.html

I am currently using Cal-Tint and Mixol colorants for my pigment. These pigments come in glycol based aqueous dispersions and mix very well. They are also quite economical to use, especially compared to tube watercolors.

Sandy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin