Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,886   Posts: 1,520,674   Online: 1142

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Labs who print lith?

I'm wanting to try out some lith to see how it comes out. I don't have a darkroom right now, so I started poking around websites for different labs. I saw Elevator does it, but with a minumum of three negs. That's a little too costly for me just to satisfy a curiousity. I've never been able to see one aside from the web (not satisfying!)

Are there any labs out there who also do lith? I can understand the negative minimum, so maybe I can find someone else to go in with and place one order. I'm just looking to try out one of my 6x6 or 6x7 negs enlarged to 11x11 or 11x14.

Any helpful advice from the peanut gallery?

Thanks!
    www.cjphillipsphoto.com

"Technology is a big destroyer of emotion and truth. Opportunity doesn't do anything for creativity. Yeah, it makes it easier and you can get home sooner, but it doesn't make you a more creative person. That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field.. ease of use." - Jack White

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I print lith at my facility, with no minimum order quantity.
    If you have any problems finding someone to print over there I'de be happy to assist.

Regards

Stephen Frizza
    The Lighthouse Lab
    Shop 2-219 Bondi Road Bondi N.S.W Australia 2026
    E: Steve@thelighthousebps.com.au

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    thats hardly a lith print!!! and seems more like cheap digital trickery to me? is that really where you want to head?
    A true lith print cant be substituted.

~steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Elevator (Site partner) prints lith. I sat in on a short lith session with Bob Carnie and it was amazing. in two test prints (the tests being very acceptable) he had his winners -- and they where real winners. Anyone who thinks a drugstore RA4 machine print can be a good substitute of a real lith print isn't trying to achieve a lith print, but something else.

If you contact Elevator directly they may do one print for you. They can also advise you a on the kind of neg to supply which will make the likelihood much higher of that one print being a good print.

Western Hemi contact Elevator (http://www.elevatorsdigital.ca) eastern Hemi contact Stephen, weak imitation go to walmart.
    Last edited by jd callow; 08-13-2008 at 12:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Frank, that's not really what I'm after here, but thank you.

Stephen, I'll definitely keep you in mind once I explore my stateside options. I'm afraid shipping might be prohibitive, but I haven't shipped to Australia before so I'm not sure what to expect.
    www.cjphillipsphoto.com

"Technology is a big destroyer of emotion and truth. Opportunity doesn't do anything for creativity. Yeah, it makes it easier and you can get home sooner, but it doesn't make you a more creative person. That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field.. ease of use." - Jack White

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    And next lets use photoshop to abandon sepia toning for brown tinted Ra-4 prints, and cyanotypes for cyan tinted ink jets. Sorry I am an analog man in photography and an analog process is what it is.

I thank you frank for editing your post to now state "it's adequate but by no means is intended to substitute for real lith printing."

your original post did not state this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Come on guys, it's a moot point in the context of this thread because I'm not interested in going that route!

Long live real lith

Stephen, with the variety of effects from different materials in this process, do you guys standardize on one (or a few?)
    www.cjphillipsphoto.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    While i have never done it for a client overseas I usually consult with my clients before hand to ask what they are wanting to achieve in the final print. I am always happy to do tests for evaluation before the final is made. I usually print lith prints using Kentmere or Agfa fiber stocks. If you were interested in me printing for you I could scan the tests and we could discuss the final printing from there, assuming your monitor is calibrated I would be happy to do it.

I would recommend though that if this was to be an on going thing it might be easier to find a lab more local to you. A good personal one on one relationship with a printer , especially in alternate processes in invaluable.
    Last edited by Stephen Frizza; 08-13-2008 at 12:33 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: my spellin is bad

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    And next lets use photoshop to abandon sepia toning for brown tinted Ra-4 prints, and cyanotypes for cyan tinted ink jets. Sorry I am an analog man in photography and an analog process is what it is.

I thank you frank for editing your post to now state "it's adequate but by no means is intended to substitute for real lith printing."

your original post did not state this.

Originally, I had thought that those reading would understand this without the need to state it - evidently I was incorrect.

Any further posts will spell out completely my thoughts lest they be taken as an attempt to win converts to the dark side by the antichrist.

I apologize for any assault you may have felt toward your "art".

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just bumping to see if the weekend ape-huggers have any lith info for me

Thanks!
    www.cjphillipsphoto.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin