Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,092   Online: 909

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Kallitype blotches

I seem to get uncontrollable blotches on my kallitypes. They are apparent in areas of middle grey density such as overcast skys. I'm using Lenox 100 paper and Sodium Citrate developer. Any clues??

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnindc View Post
    I seem to get uncontrollable blotches on my kallitypes. They are apparent in areas of middle grey density such as overcast skys. I'm using Lenox 100 paper and Sodium Citrate developer. Any clues??
    If I had to make a guess I would say it is probably a paper issue.

Describe your processing steps.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    As said, Lenox 100 paper, 2ml sensitizer on an 8x8 inch area applied with a glass rod (4 passes). The blotches show up immediatly in the developer. They are not the result of subsequent processing (citric acid, hypo, toner). I'm using .2% tween and am wondering if it is necessary with Lenox 100 paper.

Shooter
    Large Format
    It may be the paper & applicator combination. ArtPaper.com doesn't say Lenux is suitable for Photography - "It will handle all dry drawing media as well as silkscreen printing, hand & offset lithography, etching, and embossing." Christopher James doesn't mention it. Switch to brush application or test your process on another paper.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I'll try a brush. The Lenox is what Bostick and Sullivan recommend and sell..

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    The blotches show up immediatly in the developer.
    That's a good indication to me that the paper is suspect.

They are not the result of subsequent processing (citric acid, hypo, toner). I'm using .2% tween and am wondering if it is necessary with Lenox 100 paper.
    Eliminate the tween. IMO you shouldn't need to use it. I also prefer a 'magic brush' to the coating road.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Christopher James doesn't mention it.
    Just because James doesn't mention it doesn't mean anything.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format
    Are the blotches about the size of your fingertips? I went nuts when I started printing kalli until I discovered I had to be very careful (far more so than in platinum) to not get finger / skin oil on the paper..... or maybe I just have strange skin.....

Tom

Just to throw this out there, I've found a few things with the Lenox 100:

Firstly, print on the rougher side, not the smooth side. The smooth side gives blotchy and un-repeatable results, with less density. Second, it likes a brush coating so you can work the solution into the texture.

If all else fails, try adding a little bit of oxalic acid to your ferric oxalate, or call me and I'll send you a free replacement with the oxalic acid already added. The Lenox paper is just on the border of needing a acidifying stage, so I find myself adding about 2g of oxalic acid to every 100ml of ferric oxalate, just to make sure the pH stays low.

I'm looking at adding a couple more papers to our catalog, but they are all in the price range with the Fabriano and Platine. I'm still searching for the holy grail, a cheap paper that holds up to the processing while providing a good image without any pre-soaking or jumping through hoops. A $500 B&S gift certificate to anyone who can steer me to a paper that fits my criteria!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I think you have the answer, but not all in one response.
    Fingerprints on the paper are a strong possibility along with the need for more acidity. In addition, if you are coating with a rod on a surface which is not equally smooth uneven coating can result. Switching to a good brush or using the rod on plate glass should solve this part of the problem.

I find kallitype the most prone to problems of all the alt processes.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin