Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,681   Online: 786

Thread: Photo canvas?

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    This is a question out of curiosity:
    Thre is a photographer over here whose business is selling (for a hefty price...) COLOR photos printed on canvas (just like a regular painting).

Any clues how he does it?

Thanks,

Jorge O

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There is a process whereby the emulsion is lifted off a regular colour print and laminated on canvas.

Another way is to press the print on a canvas pattern, so that the surface of the print becomes textured.

A third way is a d*g*t*l print on canvas..
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    Tak, Ole
    That's a fast reply!

I don't think he does it the bit way - I've taken a real close look at his prints, and maybe, as you said, he peels the emulsion of and transfer it to the canvas.

Jorge O

Jorge:

I've done hundreds of them and it is as Ole says. The emulsion layer is rolled off the print and then mounted on special adhesive canvas and then placed into a drymount press. Because of the thinness of the emulsion layer the print easily takes the form of the canvas and can look like it is really printed on it.

I used to do them when I did color printing but if you wanted one done most professional labs will do them. It's just called canvas mounting.

Michael McBlane

Shooter
    35mm
    This guy is a nice portraitist.
    But the prices wealthy people pays for one of his prints since it's 'different' ...

You should do it!

Jorge O

Images
    Back when I was doing my portrait business, I sold a lot of canvas mounted prints. The lab I used would dry mount the print onto a stretcher frame and then put a laquer coat on it.
    hi!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin