Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,858   Posts: 1,583,102   Online: 948

Thread: uv exposure box

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

uv exposure box

Has anyone used either one of these units? How do they work for alternative processes?

http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com...roduct/RXP2536

http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com...duct/RXPAL2536

thanks,
    bob k.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Based on the specs, these would work fine. They don't seem to have an exhaust fan, so for some processes (like traditional PdPt, but not ziatype) the heat they would generate may cause issues (like, your paper and the emulsion get too dry during exposure and you might end up with weak blacks or have other image quality issues). You could probably rig up a computer fan to extract the heat. If you're patient, a used unit with a fan will show up. Or, if you look around a bit, a Nuarc or Amerigraph unit will fall into your lap for less money. The black light kits at Home Depot, at around $17 each, work pretty well. I started that way with 6 kits, until an Amergraph showed up for $300.
    Neal

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you Neal. By the way, where did you find the used unit? On the web? The APUG classifieds?

bob k.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I bought my Amergraph from another apugger. You can find them on eBay fairly often (search Amergraph, Nuarc 26-1K, etc.) The flip tops are not as easy to work with, but many do use them. Look for local listings because they're not something you want to ship. Printing shops that are switching to digital are good places to find them. Google searches turn up printing equipment classifieds broken out by State that yield leads. Calling a few printing places in your area has turned up unwanted units for other people. These units are often unwanted, bulky, heavy junk to many print shops. Be aware that most of them do not disassemble easily. Measure your doorways. Getting mine into my basement was a true ordeal (but it was worth it for the vacuum table and power of illumination). Make certain that the rubber blanket is in good condition and that it pulls good vacuum. These blankets are expensive to replace if cracked due to age, often costing more than what the unit is worth.
    N

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The lights on this unit look to be fairly wide apart. But you think it would still work (centennial pop and gum bichromate)?

http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com...roduct/RXP2024

bob k.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonneal View Post
    Based on the specs, these would work fine. They don't seem to have an exhaust fan, so for some processes (like traditional PdPt, but not ziatype) the heat they would generate may cause issues (like, your paper and the emulsion get too dry during exposure and you might end up with weak blacks or have other image quality issues). You could probably rig up a computer fan to extract the heat. If you're patient, a used unit with a fan will show up. Or, if you look around a bit, a Nuarc or Amerigraph unit will fall into your lap for less money. The black light kits at Home Depot, at around $17 each, work pretty well. I started that way with 6 kits, until an Amergraph showed up for $300.
    Neal
    My limited experience so far with Zia would have to disagree with need of a fan. I'm not using an artificial UV source, but Zia seems very sensitive to heat drying out the emulsion, and its associated problems. I started working in direct sun, then under the guidance of Carl Weese, I moved into open shade, and never expose when ambient temp is greater than 75 degrees. I have much greater success now, getting even development and neutral tones (no bronzing). I have much further to go in getting things down, and it may require a UV box, but I'd never get one that didn't have a system to keep things relatively cool.

Tim
    If only we could pull out our brains and use only our eyes. P. Picasso

http://www.timbowlesphotography.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin