Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,919   Posts: 1,584,780   Online: 968

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Paper database for alt. processes ?

I was wondering if there is a comparison database somewhere on the internet, where all kinds of papers have been tested with all kinds of alt. processes.

Denmark is a small market and it can be hard to find good paper and it is even harder to guess if it will work with the alt. process in mind.
    If a man does not keep in step with his fellows it may be because he hears a different drummer... Thoreau

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    alternativephotography.com did a big paper survey but papers come and go and some change without warning. I used to like Fabriano Watercolor Studio paper but then I bought the next pack and it no longer worked with cyanotype like the old stuff did.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think there's a paper survey on http://www.alternativephotography.com/. My opinion: I'd say Buxton by Ruscombe Mills.

EDIT: D'oh. Too slow again.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Buxton is a great paper, no doubt, but a lot of people cringe at $10-14 a sheet. I have a preliminary guide up on our website right now, which has a nice picture showing the difference in color/hue of each paper I carry. I plan on adding more detailed images of each paper soon, but the current guide should be of some help.

http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/images/paper_guide.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To the great list on AltPhoto and the list that B&S in starting, I'd like to chime in with my support of Rives Lightweight. It takes a coating of homemade baryta beautifully - very nice effect.

Dana, I love your description of Heavy Kozo. I can hardly wait to try it out. And, nice visuals on the papers. Good work.
    d

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I like the paperinfo from Bostick-Sullivan. But the info from alternativephotography seems more complete. This made me wonder if someone like Bostick-Sullivan could be interested in hosting a database where users could contribute pictures and information about whatever papers are out there and what they can be used for. Since paper awailability seems to so varied from country to country, maybe it could include links to where they are awailable.

And the info on each paper should be standardized, in the terms used to describe them.
    If a man does not keep in step with his fellows it may be because he hears a different drummer... Thoreau

Just to clarify, I only include the papers that I sell in my paper guide. There are obviously many more suitable papers out there, and I'm always looking to add new ones to my catalog.

As it's been mentioned before, papers are not a static, unchanging product. They can become unusable due to manufacturing variations, and papers that were once a poor choice can suddenly print beautifully!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin