Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,056   Online: 805

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Lightbox-Grow lights or Black Lights

I built a light box with a couple of fluorescent tubes. I have grow lights in it right now and it makes a good exposure to my cyanotypes in about an hour. I am wanting to reduce the exposure time, and am wondering if black lights will work better.

Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tim,

It seems you just need a few more tubes. If as you say you have only a 'couple' of tubes then you probably have something like 80watts output?

For Pt/Pd printing I use 9 x 25 watt BLB, black light blue (filtered) which gives me an average exposure of between 3-6 minutes at a distance of 6" from the lamps.

Trevor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a "facial tanning unit" from that auction site for my polygravure exposures (KM73 plates) My exposures are in the 45 second range at 5 inches. Cheaper by far than building an exposure bod with blacklight bulbs. I set the timer on the unit to a long time and then use a GraLab timer for more precise timing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin