Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,033   Online: 1001

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Nuarc 261K bulb aging

Hi All,

Should I expect to see any changes with a regularly used nuarc bulb in a Nuarc 261K. My bulb is 2.5 years old and still burning.

I am curious if I should replace it... if there is anything in particular I should expect to see as my bulb ages????

Thank You In Advance :-0

Corey

Shooter
    35mm
    Look at the envelope of the bulb. If it is starting to get milky, its getting closer to going, but can still burn quite happily for quite a few hours. Signs of impending doom are flicker that keeps on going after warm up, and gross color shift towards a visible magenta or green. You may also see an increase or decrease over normal output. When they go, they can sometimes go big, and can even break the heat shield. I usually replace them after they start getting overly milky. YMMV.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by boyooso View Post
    Should I expect to see any changes with a regularly used nuArc bulb
    As Mr. Brunner noted, they go milky before they go.

The major cause of bulb failure - aside from age - is lack of cooling. nuArc equipment was made for day-in-day-out work in newspaper pre-press rooms (when such things existed), and unless you got the equipment with an awful lot of hours already on it, it is doubtful you are going to burn out the bulb.

If the bulb is getting really milky, or the light is getting erratic or dim, make sure all the fans and blowers are producing a healthy stream of air.

A milky bulb, especially with a bulge in the side, is best replaced before it blows - literally blows, as in 'bang, WTF was that?' - The bulbs have quite a dollop of mercury in them.

A '1% low-fat milk' haze isn't much to be worried about.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For the $35 or so dollars a spare cost*, unless money's really tight, you should keep a spare.

erie

* http://www.bulbconnection.com/ViewEq.../645/item.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I don't really see any milkiness in the bulb, so I suppose it's ok. However, over the past several months I noticed a 15-20% increase in printing speed. I am printing a a low unit number and it makes me wonder... But what really makes me wonder is some slight variations in contrast (or it seems) and printing speed when going between different size prints of the same image.

I just got a little nervous, so I wanted to check what the norm is...

FWIW, those $35 ushio bulbs have never worked very long for me. The would stop working after a few months, so I only use the nuarc bulbs now $100 a piece...

Thanks for the input guys!

Corey

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hi All,

Should I expect to see any changes with a regularly used nuarc bulb in a Nuarc 261K. My bulb is 2.5 years old and still burning.

I am curious if I should replace it... if there is anything in particular I should expect to see as my bulb ages????

Thank You In Advance :-0

Corey
    Do you have a 26 1K or 1KS. I had to get a bulb last year for my newer 26 1KS at a cost of $240.00+ I believe I went through Atlanta Bulb company who were gracious enough to exchange several bulbs until the proper bulb was found.
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Steve,

I do have a 26 1K and I use nuarc's bulb gw114.

Wow the bulbe for the 26 1ks sure is pricey. What exactly is the difference?

Thanks,

Corey

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Steve,

I do have a 26 1K and I use nuarc's bulb gw114.

Wow the bulbe for the 26 1ks sure is pricey. What exactly is the difference?

Thanks,

Corey
    Hi Corey,

Atlanta Bulb Co. were the ones who gracious excepted the return without possibility of another sale as they did not carry the bulb I needed.

Finally found the bulb I needed here http://www.lexusa.com/np80.html at a price of $230.00 Tuff to keep one of those as a spare.

The only difference I was able to learn of is the 26 1KS is newer and supposedly more powerful.

At least give
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin