Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,657   Posts: 1,481,414   Online: 1087

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

De Facto Pt/PD print from kallitype

I'm sure everyone who is making kallitypes has read the following "...a well-made kallitype, when toned with platinum or palladium, is for all practical purposes identical in tonal range and color to a true platinum or palladium print. In fact it would be impossible for even an expert to distinguish between well-made kallitype and platinum prints made from the same negative." My question: does a kallitype fully toned with Pt or Pd become a de facto Pt or Pd print?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Exactly the same difference between being and seeming, reality and appearance. But nowodays, a lot of people forgot the difference, choosing appearance as first choice.

Shooter
    Large Format
    If most of the silver is replaced by pt or pd, I would argue that its more than perception. But what's in a name besides marketing - platinum print vs platinum-toned print?
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    if most ???

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Due to some test of bleaching after toning , If you do a good toning or double toning , with gold , platinum or palladium you get turn all the silver in noble metal. with only one toning you turn 95% of the silver in noble salt. I never get more. What means this 95% it mean that afater belaching there is a loss of density of 5% . This loos of density is not uniform and we are lucky as it only haapen in the low light of the print and donot touch the highlight.
    I do these test using single shoot developer and toner. I applied on the print with coating rod.
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do believe I am being quoted here...
    That was summarizing a conversation with Laura Gilpin, circa 1978. Laura was a noted photographer, graduate of Clarence White's school, and her platinum prints of the era are second to none. I had just begun making kallitypes and had just made the first ones toned with platinum or palladium. I asked Miss Gilpin for a critique - and she asked if they were straight platinums and palladiums; I replied no, they were toned kallitypes. She chuckled and said she had not thought about them since the 1920s when she had made a few. Was she happy with them? "Oh, yes, they were beautiful, but everyone wanted a platinum print." Could she pick a toned kallitype out of a pile of palladium prints? "Goodness, no!"

Russ Young

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nice to read this story . Thanks Russ
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Actually, the quote is taken from the text of Sandy King in an article called Making Kallitype Prints:
    A Fresh Look at a Beautiful Printing Process. The article appeared in Unblinking Eye.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Russ nice to here about Laura. That school is Ohio University. Clarence White was my senior Projects instructor ( I did mine in my Junior year), and he retired during my actual Senior year and Arnold Gassen took over then. It was a great pleasure to have studied under them.

mike andersen
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    That's my alma mater, too. I started the year after Arnold Gassen stopped teaching, but his influence was very strong in the curriculum. I thought it was a good program.
    Neal

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin