Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,490   Online: 755

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I started in April 2007 after reading an article on davec101's cyanotypes. After learning traditional cyanotype was only two chemicals, I figured that sounded pretty simple. I used mostly 6x9 negatives from a Brownie No.2 camera. I tried enlarged negatives onto panchromatic film (as it was cheapest at the time), I now do some enlarged negatives occasionally on APHS ortho litho film but I mostly use my 4x5 camera now. I've tried Van Dyke Brown, anthotype, physautotype and gum printing. In order of what I've worked with the most, cyanotype, physautotype, van dyke, anthotype and gum printing. I'd really like to get more into gum printing but I want to do tri-colour/gum over cyanotype. It's a bit more fiddly than just cyanotype though so it's been put on the backburner.
    I mostly do cyanotypes. They're easier for me than B&W darkroom. I've not had problems with the paper keeping once coated (no fogging) so I can coat quite a lot then just keep some around, even for relatively quick proofing of negatives. I just need a sink of water for the paper to "develop". I like the blue colour and high contrast of cyanotypes.
    I think I kind of explained why I do alt process above.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jarosz View Post
    I guess I must be a little nosy. I'm interested in everyone's history with alt processes; my basic questions are:

When did you start? How did you get to where you are today?
    What process is your main interest and activity?
    Why do you do an alt process?

I hope some of you jump in with similar stories. (I did not find a thread like this in the archives)

John
    I started reading about the process in 2004. I read "The New Platinum Print" and after trying the Ziatype for a while early in 2005, I took a class from Kerik Kouklis later that year.

The process that is my main interest is pt/pd.

I do an alt process because 1) I was tired of having to pay for someone to make my prints for me and 2) I have no darkroom.

However, I still have to pay if I want a b/w silver print made for me.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    35mm
    I got started in alternative processes as soon as I took up toning last year. From there it went to split-toning and multiple toning, and then to Halochrome.

The process that I'm concentrating on right now is Lith printing and Halochrome.

I do an alternative process because:
    1) Seems a lot more fun that standard B&W printing most of the time
    2) It gets unique and beautiful results when you get the print to come out.
    Last edited by Justin Maramba; 01-06-2009 at 08:44 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Needed more detail

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin