Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,978   Online: 806

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Clearing Cyanotype

I'm testing out some Cranes 90# cover stock with Cyanotype and am have a real problem trying to get the images to clear in the wash. The formula coates very easily and the images look good, however, I can't get rid of the slight creamy color in the white areas in the image - even after 30 minutes of washing. Anyone have some suggestions on chemicals to use that might help the process?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IIRC Dan a baking soda mixture or a diluted vinegar solution..
    Vinegar tends to bleach so a quick bath may help.
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'd try using a 2% citric acid solution as a first rinse. Alkaline solutions will bleach the print but the color result will be fugitive.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Tried the vinegar solution - didn't help a bit. I was wondering about the Citric acid first rinse. I'll try that and see if it helps.

I didn't mention it but I'm using the Mike Ware formula. I've never had this problem with other papers and cyanotype before.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I bet you are getting some fogging... reaction between the paper and the cyanotype emulsion.

Mike Ware states that the dry paper should be bright yellow, NOT GREEN!!!!in the least. What color is yours? It needs to be YELLOW, not yellow/green. He says that his formula is an excellent test for your paper's purity!

good LUCK!

Corey

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Corey,

The paper color looks good. There doesn't seem to be any different of a color in the dried sensitizer than other papers that I've been using. I'm not discounting the fact that there might be just enough of a fogging action to cause the color problem. However, if that were the case, wouldn't the coloring be somewhat on the greenish/blueish side. The color on my paper is definitely cream with no apparent trace of blue or green in it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin