Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,515   Posts: 1,598,186   Online: 803

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

getting started with v28-1200 mercury printer

so I've had it sitting in my living room for a few months now...it does work but I think I need to replace the vacumn pump...I need a general idea of how to set the lights for platinum printing..i.e. the the little number settings....any info to get me in the general area is much appreciated...
    Thanks, Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

v28-1200

just bumping my own thread....
    Peter

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Can you post a link to photo/description of the printer?

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

printer

vaughn-it basically looks exactly like the new ulf model posted here on apug..
    there are two dials to increase or decrease the intensity of the light (i suppose)
    but where to set them and for what time do I expose for....
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I'd be surprised if they actually increase or decrease the intensity of the light. On the older NuArc unit I have, those dials would be to determine the actual exposure (in units of light -- not time). There is probably a sensor that measures the about of light (UV) that the bulb is putting out (fluxuations in voltage, heat of the bulb, etc varies the bulb's output). When you set the dials for a certain setting, the actual time of an exposure might vary, but the amount of light hitting the paper will be the same. Mine is a 1000 Watt fellow that I also have not got around to using yet.

I am assuming your v28-1200 is a 1200 Watt beast -- so I would think that the number of units of light will be low for a platinum print...I would do a test print in 5 unit intervals (5-10-15-20-25) to start with. It will depend on your negs (conventional developers or pyro, density, etc).

That is the best I can do for you -- perhaps someone who has actually used a 1000 Watt or 1200 Watt light source will chime in soon!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Just google AmerGraph V28

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

thanks everyone

actually I got off my butt and opened up dick arentz's book....this is relatively easy....I just set the dial at 40 units and let it rip....and I do mean rip..I'm actually down to 2.5 minutes on some of the negatives...am suprised that the unit does not draw that much power....seems fine right at the outlet
    I'll see if that holds when the vacumn pump is running...
    As an aside these units are just incredible...I'm not going back to no pizza oven again....dodging and burning becomes a snap although I have never really done burning yet(ever?) I ended up getting this off ebay for $100 and had the guy deliver to me for gas money....yesterdays printing was the most fun I've ever had with the plat/pld method in all the time I've done it (almost 10 years now) and it really changed my outlook...
    now I won't be stuck as to size or time constraints...if you can find a plateburner in good shape for decent bucks it is well worth the investment. thanks everyone for the input
    Best, Peter

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin