Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,077   Online: 742

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Heather,
    Gamblin is the brand name. There may be no difference from any other brand.
    The PVA does not need hardening. It is not water soluble.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    PVA is a pretty standard glue, I was just wondering if it was anything special. From googling, it doesn't sound like it's different to any other PVA glue. I think it is slightly water soluble even when dried. We used PVA on some wood to try to protect it from a fountain on stage and it went slightly milky when it got wet (when it dried completely clear).
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    This discussion is somewhat confusing because it's mixing up two different things which unfortunately go by the same initials. PVA=polyvinyl Alcohol is soluble in water when brushed out thin and dried, and for that reason can be used as the colloid in dichromated colloid processes like gum printing. PVA=polyvinyl Acetate, while it can be mixed with water, is not soluble in water when brushed out thin and dried, and that's why it works for a sizing without requiring hardening. I understand it's more complicated than this if you want to get really technical chemically, but this soluble/insoluble distinction of the dried film is a good enough distinction for our purposes.

I made the mistake once when I bought something labeled PVA Glue, intending to use it to test some things about printing with PVAlcohol as the colloid rather than gum, but it turned out I'd unwittingly bought polyvinyl acetate rather than polyvinyl alcohol, and it didn't work at all for the purpose I'd intended. I haven't seen that bottle lately; I hope I didn't toss it, because now I'd like to try it for sizing, per Steve. So I'd suggest that you double-check the label if you want to try this with a different brand than the Gamblin specified here.
    Katharine

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Question

Well, I can't seem to find my polyvinyl acetate, so I guess I must have tossed it, thinking I'd have no further use for it. Moral: Never Throw Anything Away!

I've been searching online, and I find two different products listed: Gamlin PVA Glue, and Gamlin PVA Size. Which one are you using? Also, the 1:2 dilution; I'm assuming that's with water?

I've been experimenting with printing on masa paper, which is frustrating but interesting, and I suspect it would be easier sizing the paper with PVA than with gelatin. Thanks,
    Katharine
    Last edited by Katharine Thayer; 10-21-2008 at 04:51 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: afterthought

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I encountered PVA in bookbinding class and I have come to use it for a variety of things pretty much anything that needs gluing. One thing you can do with it is use it like a brush on dry mount material. So you can drymount easily very small things and the PVA will smooth out with heat.

The bottle I have on hand now is by Lineco and is for bookbinding. I went recently into one art store where the salesman told me that elmer's glue is PVA and that is what they carried. Gamblins is just a very high quality brand. I was not aware of the two types PVA, I only knew of the Acetate.

I am interested in this sizing with PVA and I would like to try it. I am guessing that you need to dilute it and put the paper into it rather than brush it. I would think that brushing would be problematic with an uneven build up from brush strokes causing streaks.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Steve - I tried Gamblin PVA for sizing several years ago. It didn't work very well for me, but I didn't test it extensively. I still prefer gelatin & formaldehyde.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2013 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also tried PVA for gum printing. The surface was too sized, and the gum layer just sort of slid off whole during development. I guess you could probably dilute it even more than the 1:5 that I tried, but like Kerik, I have found gelatin and formaldehyde to work with very few problems, so I didn't investigate any further. The initial test was such a disaster that I had to laugh.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Kerik and Clay,
    I haven't used it yet for gumovers, but for three color gum it seems to be working great. Take a look at my website. All of the Italy prints (there are only 4 so far) were sized with the Gamblin PVA. As you guys know, I had a lung transplant 6 months ago, so I'm just spooked by the formalin. I'm willing to use it after masking and gloving up. But I'd rather find a suitable alternative. Early results tell me I may have found it.
    Steve
    ps: Clay, update your website! :o)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Katharine,
    I'm using Gamblin PVA SIZE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is great it is working for you. Are you diluting it at all?
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin