Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,932   Posts: 1,522,195   Online: 1071

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Sizing with Gamblin PVA

Hi,
    Anyone use this product as a sizing for gum prints? I do 3 color gums as well as gumovers, and was wondering if this will work as well as using gelatin with formalin as a hardener. I've been using gelatin with formalin. It works well, but I always dread the the whole sizing thing. Someone over at Hybrid photo uses the PVA and it works well for him.
    Health issues are a concern for me as well. Anyone, anyone?
    Thanks,
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PVA is the new rabbitskin glue in the painter's world, used to size canvas before applying Gesso. It isn't hydroscopic (doesn't absorb water) and allows a good bond with either the acrylic or traditional oil gesso layer. I haven't used it for alternative processes, but I wouldn't worry too much about the health issues with PVA. It is basically highly refined Elmer's glue.

Of course you may have an allergic reaction that I have never seen, but I don't know of any health issues with PVA.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have to say, I don't know why more people don't use this method for sizing their paper. If there is a reason, please respond and let me know. I am using this PVA now and it works great! It sinks into the paper without leaving any shine or residue or anything I can see. And it's archival.
    It sizes very well for multiple gum printing. I haven't yet used it for gumover platinum, but I can't foresee a problem at all.
    I was using gelatin sizing with formalin as a hardener. I hated it! It was probably more paranoia than anything, since the amount of formaldehyde used was small. But with my existing health issues, I have always been leery of using it.
    Currently, I use Gamblin PVA diluted 1:2
    Now I feel liberated! If anyone else has experience with this , please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve...

Beautiful images on your site!

How are you sizing? By brush or floating?

I haven't done this before but would like to know...

Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I either brush on the PVA, or if it is a large area I use a roller.
    Thanks for the compliment!
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Does anyone know if this will work with carbon?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Steve, do I understand you correctly in that the Gamblin PVA does not need sizing?
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Gamblin PVA is the sizing. It is applied to the paper, dried, and ready to print with your alt. process of choice.
    I've never printed carbon, so I can't answer that question. I would think that any process that uses gelatin/formalin (or any of the other hardeners available) would work with PVA. Not sure though.
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What's special about the Gamblin PVA versus normal PVA glues? Is it just a brand name? I thought PVA was fairly standard across the board.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Sorry Steve - I meant to ask whether the Gamblin PVA would need hardening to be used in multiple printing...
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin