Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,007   Online: 1038

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

"Safer" Wet Plate?

I will be exploring wet plate photography next week in a workshop setting and have started to read about the process. I tend to be cautious with chemicals and would like to try to stay as safe as possible at least initially and probably long term. We will be doing both negative and positive images mainly using glass.

1. Any input regarding use of only alcohol rather than alcohol/ether for the collodion?

2. Using sodium thiosulphate or ammonium thiosulphate for fixing rather than potassium cyanide?

3. Any reason that Ammonium thiosulphate or commercial rapid fixer (probably in "film strength") is not as popular as sodium thiosulphate as the fixing agent? Is it just tradition? I prefer neutral rather than warm images in general which makes me think sodium or ammonium thiosulphate may be the way to go.

4. I do prefer a neutral image colour rather than warm images? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Hany.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Re #2 and #3 with the KCN you get a nice "coffee and cream" color that you don't get with hypo.

Re #1 you can browse a bit here and also spend some time over at www.collodion.com/forum

Re #4, the hypo will produce a bit more neutral color.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rwyoung View Post
    ...and also spend some time over at www.collodion.com/forum
    Good luck--I tried registering there a month ago and my login still isn't activated.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    To me, the hypo- fixed images aren't just neutral, they're COLD - very hard silver colored, which is rather displeasing to my eye. I have been using the hypo as a fixer because it is "safer", but it gets costly as it must be used at a stronger than film strength dilution.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Those of us who want the original color but don't want to use cyanide use ammonium thiosulfate rather than hypo as a fixer.
    As for the use of ether, it is a volatile solvent as is alcohol. Many people use denatured alcohol in place of ether very successfully. It takes longer to evaporate, and thus dry, than ether, but it works. Some denatured alcohols work better than others. The one I use is denatured with ehtanol which works very well.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
    Good luck--I tried registering there a month ago and my login still isn't activated.
    The site was down for upgrade for awhile and some problems persisted.Itis now up and running normally. Sean is very attentive to individual problems. Try again.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There are so many variables (cations, iodide:bromide ratio, age, alcohol type) with the formulas I've tried that it is difficult to say for sure, but I think the low ether/high ethanol mixes produce a much more fragile film that lifts from glass more easily. I can't really say whether the age of the collodion or whether different salt varieties I tried didn't impact the tenacity of the films more than the alcohol:ether ratio, but it seems to me some additional ether needs to be added to collodion USP to give the film adequate strength.

You can't entirely avoid ether in the process since it is already present in the collodion. Ether in combination with strong alcohol is needed to dissolve the nitrated cotton. Either solvent by itself is not sufficient to do so.

But, ether presents a storage problem since the fumes are explosive if concentrated and explosive peroxides will also form in it over time. Most institutional guidelines I've read recommend disposal of opened stocks of ether after 3-6 months. Don't store the ether inside a residence or near ignition sources, and though it is best to keep it cool, in the dark, and in a well-ventilated space, don't use a regular refrigerator to store it since sparks from the motor could set off any fumes that have accumulated inside the box.

The best compromise is to purchase the smallest quantity of ether that you think you'll use in a period of a couple months and not have any excess that you'll have to store. Adding it to the collodion or alcohol will help stabilize it and minimize the rate at which peroxides will form, but the fume hazard still is present and proper storage conditions are necessary for safety. BHT is a chemical additive found in some ether stocks that also helps slow peroxide formation. And keeping oxygen out of the bottle will also help minimize the formation of peroxides. Adding marbles to displace the volume of solution in the storage bottle and/or using a nitrogen blanket at the ether-air interface will also help minimize peroxide formation. Be sure to read the MSDS before using any of these chemicals. You might also want to consult a chemist in regard to the safe handling and storage of all the chemicals used in this process.

There is some anecdotal evidence that denatured alcohol in place of grain alcohol slows the aging of collodion or rejuvenates it, but of course the denatured stuff is toxic and thus more of a hazard than grain alcohol. Another thing to consider is the water content of the alcohol. Collodion must have some water to keep the film open to chemical action, but too much water causes problems. Alcohols with around 4-6% water content (e.g., 190 proof Everclear) seem to work best.

Shorter development times generally promote warmth in the plate color though KCN fixer really warms it up. I prefer the warm color but I don't find the difference personally appealing enough to use that poison. I use ammonium thiosulfate instead and get quick fixing times without the added risk. Addition of some potassium nitrate or silver nitrate to the developer also is supposed to make the plate color more neutral and my casual observation supports that. Some workers add a few drops of solution from the silver sensitizing tank to the developer to get that effect. Reusing developer also promotes the neutral color since some silver comes off the plate during development and ends up in the developer solution.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but the chemicals in the wetplate process should not be handled casually because they do present hazards. The hazards are manageable and getting the proper information is the first step in safely working the process.

Joe

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    The site was down for upgrade for awhile and some problems persisted.Itis now up and running normally. Sean is very attentive to individual problems. Try again.
    I tried again--got a page of error messages this time. No way to contact the admin--very frustrating.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hello Barry,
    My site is there - you can send me email through http://www.studioQ.com/contact (just for future reference)
    I found your account and activated it too. I'm usually pretty good about responding to email, don't hesitate to contact me if you have a problem (thanks Jim). Everything (fingers crossed) is back up and working on the collodion forum board now. I hit a rough spot recently, but it seems to be smoothing out now.

Thanks.
    Regards,
    Quinn Jacobson
    Artist, Photographer, & Educator
    http://www.studioQ.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Hello Barry,
    My site is there - you can send me email through http://www.studioQ.com/contact (just for future reference)
    I found your account and activated it too. I'm usually pretty good about responding to email, don't hesitate to contact me if you have a problem (thanks Jim). Everything (fingers crossed) is back up and working on the collodion forum board now. I hit a rough spot recently, but it seems to be smoothing out now.

Thanks.
    Thanks Quinn, I appreciate it and look forward to joining the forum!

Cheers-- Barry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin