Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,222   Online: 967

Shooter
    Medium Format

Brush 15% oxalic acid on for pre treatment?

I seem to remember reading that some people pre treat their buffered papers (Artistico) (Pt/Pd) with 15% oxalic acid rather then soak it in 5%. Any experience with this? I thought I might give it a try but wanted to ask if anyone had experience with it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have had problems with the sizing when I soaked the paper so I have done the brushing instead and find that it does help some with smoothness and dmax.
    D

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I truely prefer to brush the paper with 10 or 15% AO solution instead of bath it. For paper which just need a pH variation it works well , but for some paper which are really alakaline just a bath help/
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Are you brushing both sides or just the side you coat? Are you trying to wet the paper down into the fiber or just the surface?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    What I do, and I am not the expert in this by any means, is to measure out a bit larger volume of the OA solution(than the sensitizing solution) and use a water color wash brush (just like the one I use for coating pt/pd) and coat one whole side of the paper and then let it air dry. I do several sheets at a time and when they are dry I coat them with pt/pd solution.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm curious about this, too. Previously I would just take a huge tray and soak full or 1/2 sheets and hang them all up at once in the garage, but I don't have the ability to dry that many sheets in our apartment so being able to brush coat and dry vs. a full soak is much more manageable.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    How about just adding the Oxalic acid to the sensitizer? I have not done this, but it has been recommended by Terry King as a another option.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin