Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,423   Online: 782

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Citric acid for kallitypes

My kallitypes clear in fresh sodium citrate to which I have added a small amount of oxalic acid. If I put the developed print in 2% citric acid (20gms/L) to insure complete clearing the image fades after a minute and is irreversibly bleached after 3 minutes and will not recover in toner and hype. I checked my cirtic acid solution and it has a ph of 1 which must account for the extensive bleaching. Im I doing something wrong? Prints are made on Lenox 100 paper, but I have had similar results with other papers.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use 3% citric acid bath for clearing step with no problems. Try skipping the sodium citrate/oxalic acid step.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnindc View Post
    ... and will not recover in toner and hype.
    Only digital images recover with hype .

Sorry, John. Let's return to the problem.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Doug,

The sodium citrate/oxalic acid is the developer.

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    As Doug wrote , you may try to use a sodium sitrate developer , without any oxalic acid in it. If you want an acid developer you may add citric acid in it. I use potassium citrate developer and I have no problem with a clearing bath in citric acid. I followed with a palldium toner made with citric acid.
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

Shooter
    Large Format
    For developer (whether Sodium Citrate or Ammonium Citrate & Sodium Acetate) I only use about 3 grams per liter of Tartaric Acid (also Potassium Dichromate depending on neg contrast). Oxalic Acid I suspect has other properties other than as a preservative (ie, see Darkroom Cookbook, 3rd edition).
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Another thing to try is using hypo clear as a clearing agent. I've used PermaWash with good results.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Actually, I don't have a problem clearing my prints with developer alone. My real question relates to the bleaching of my prints in 2% citric acid which is the recommended concentration.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I don't understand why you would want to clear and develop at the same time? I have very consistant results with a straight sodium citrate developer, and then clear in 3% citric acid for 1 minute. If you say you are able to clear your prints in the developer, then maybe the extra time in 2% citric acid bath is not necessary. Just rinse well, fix and then put through HCA followed by a thorough washing.

I have always been lucky using 20% sodium citrate as developer (nothing else added) and then using 3% citric acid for clearing. Actually the prints are clear leaving the developer after 8 minutes but I still run them for 3 minutes in citric acid. They do bleach some but the toning brings it back. I still always follow Sandy King's article to the letter and still do the washes in between. My city water must like Kallitypes, and if only I would have been as lucky with paper.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin