Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,962   Online: 774

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The contact printing frames by APUG sponser Bostick and Sullivan are very well made and are of great value -- they are oversized for the format -- ie. my "11x14" frame is actually 12x15.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    PVia

Thank you about the show. The next workshops that I do will be in Santa Fe I hope. Unless we find a way to do some thing in So/Cal.

Jan Pietrzak

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can only offer what I have experienced. Started with 8x10 (that I was not really happy with, PM me if you want to know why). Then picked up a 11x14 from Dan Pelland, though it seems he may not be making them anymore. The 11x14 Pelland was great, but I had to trim the paper just under 11x14 for my platinum/palladium prints and I am considering moving to one of the larger Bostick and Sullivan frames. Not sure if I will go with a 11x14 or 16x20 (most likely) because I would like to do some mulitple negative exposures on one sheet of paper.

I did find that using the 8x10 for 4x5 and 5x7 worked well for me, but I really like having a larger border around the image area, for working with gum overs. In the end it will be a personal choice, I have seen one of Doug Kennedy's and it looked top notch to me. What ever you do, make prints and have fun, find equipment that you don't have to fiddle with...leave that to your creative side.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great Basin of Alan Brubaker are excellent. One problem with many used frames is the lack of really good contact over the whole negative. A big problem with larger negatives, 8x10 and up.

A nice vacuum frame solves this problem well. Used graphic arts supply houses have them often now. They are worth the cost as they will save you a lot of time and effort in the future if you stay with contact printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I made mine from a clipboard for under $5 - it has a split back - and I like it so much that I actually prefer it to the 8x10 frame I bought on eBay.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin