Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,265   Online: 746

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Advice need on contact printing frames

Hi all...

Before I order a frame I wanted to run some things by y'all...

I'm a beginner at alt processes and will be starting with VDB or argyrotype, and would like to eventually print pt/pd, mostly in small sizes to start (4x5, 5x7, etc). Should I just get an 8x10 frame or should I go one size larger at 11x14? Would the 11x14 be ok for small print sizes as well or is there something I should know?

Right now, the B&S frames look good to me, so I'm leaning in that direction.

Any advice is greatly appreciated...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Went through the same thoughts and bought a couple of cheap small ones off ebay.

My rationale was that the very large ones *might* be a fiddle to put your relatively small 4x5 neg in the right place to be able to open up the back and look at your developing print (I do cyanotype where this is pretty usual, dunno about pt/pd). Havent yet moved up in format past 5x7, and not planning to get into internegatives as yet so Im still pottering happily with what I have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would recommend you go with the largest size you are ever likely to use. I decided on a 10x12 frame because I knew I would not venture beyond the 8x10 format. I like a white border around the image that's why I chose the 10x12 frame. You should also consider the need for extra space around the image for handling reasons in case of damage, trimming for presentation, etc.

If decisions like finance, storage, etc., is not an issue then a range of frame sizes is certainly an option.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm fairly new to alternative processes myself, and i've already moved from 8x10 to 11x14. I agree, buy the largest contact frame you can afford and are likely to print with. I purchased the 11x14 from Doug Kennedy http://e.neilsen.home.att.net/dougkennedy.htm. Highly recommended...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I second using Doug, his work is great and they are very beautiful too. I'd get a 10x12, unless you want to go bigger.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I like my 4x5 negs on 8x10 paper. I don't have a splitback for now, just a paterson contact proofer (the kind for contact printing sheets of 35mm/120 negs onto an 8x10 paper) and I do timed test strips in 2minute increments for my UV light.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    When a friend of mine and I decided to first try contact printing with VDB, we went with a McGuyver/Rube Goldberg frame...we used a piece of glass, low tac tape, cardboard (split almost in 2 for a split back, and a large lightproof bag from an empty box of fb paper. We placed the neg on the glass, the paper on top, then used the low tac tape across the middle of the paper (so we could lift it without messing with the neg), then the cardboard on top...all secured with a couple of rubber bands. The whole thing went into the bag...and out we went to use the sun for UV. It was hilarious to look at...now that we've both bought print frames (10x12)...but it worked!
    Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I picked up a very innovative print frame from Alan Brubaker a couple of years ago that was the size needed for 8x10 paper. I have used it extensively for 5x7 prints, but it is too small for 8x10 negatives if you want any border. I do, however, use it for my silver 8x10 contact prints as well. The frame has a piano hinge that runs the entire length of the split back and I've always gotten excellent registration. The glass is easy to replace, and the price was very reasonable (I think it was a second). You may want to give him a call and see if he has anything at a good price.

Shooter
    Large Format
    PVia

You my also want to look at the frames sold by Freestyle Photographic

Over sized 8x10=10x12
    Over sized 11x14=?14x17?

and well priced

Jan Pietrzak

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Jan...

BTW, that was an amazing show you had down there a few months ago.

I was also at your pt/pd discussion at Joshua Tree with Per back in Jan 2007...great stuff!

Are you doing any workshops or lessons in the near future?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin