Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,607   Online: 1124

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

richeson brush ferule rusting?

Hi,

Has anyone had problems with their richeson brush rusting up?

I have...

I am curious of experiences.

Thanks!

Corey

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have just bought a new one because of the rust on the old one. Any ideas on how to prevent rust?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    go to home-depot (or somewhere similar) and buy some Plasti-dip and dip the handle/ferrule in it.

done and done, works everytime.

http://www.plastidip.com/
    Nigel Tufnel: It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none.
    None more black.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks Matt,

That is an interesting idea. I used my 1st brush for perhaps 6 coating sessions and started seeing black spots and then found RUST inbetween the bristles and the ferrule. I thought of squirting silicone aquarim sealing compound inbetween the ferrule & bristles.

Are you clearing your brush with something or just rinsing in water?

I ask becasue I spoke with a painter today and they thought it should not be rusting, they thought it was an inferior product. Dana Sullivan tells me that he just rinses his brush in water. I wonder if just water would not cause rust, or if it is the sodium sulfite and sodium bisulfite that is helping the rust along...

Anyways, thanks for your experiences.

Corey

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Are you drying the brushes after you rinse too? Just gently dab them on clean paper towel or a clean rag, reshape the damp bristles with your fingertips/whole finger if it's quite wide.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have not had any problem of rust with the Richeson brush. I simply rinse the brush in distilled water, shake it a few times to get rid of excess water, and then place handle side down in a jar.

The coating has a strong tendency to flake off. What I do is sand off the original coating and then spray paint with black epoxy paint. This should last for a very long long. You can also dip in the plastic coating as suggested, but I found this to not last very long.

Sandy King

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm View Post
    go to home-depot (or somewhere similar) and buy some Plasti-dip and dip the handle/ferrule in it.

done and done, works everytime.

http://www.plastidip.com/
    This stuff also works wonders repairing a bellows with the infamous pinholes in the corner points. It's pliable and will flex.

Hang the bellows so it will extend and stay put, then paint away - quite a few different colors available too.

I use it at work to seal electrolyte solution out of moving parts in EDM fixturing - that's an extremely harsh environment. It lasts about a year in the electrolyte and should last a lifetime with the typical care a LF camera receives.
    Last edited by Frank Szabo; 11-04-2008 at 10:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I can't remember where I heard it, but someone said/wrote that you can use either Super Glue or epoxy glue at the base of the brush and in the brush hairs where the meet the ferrule...sorta' sealing off the non-business end of the brush. Haven't tried it though.
    Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Suddenly, the 'magic' brush isn't feeling quite so magical to me anymore.

Sandy, How do you get the epoxy paint on the inside of the ferrule next to the bristles? other than carefully that is?

Thanks!

Corey

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I used the plastidip on a 2" richeson brush. I have yet to use it on the 4" richeson I use more regularly as of late.
    When the paint started flaking I just wrapped it in strong black electrical tape to keep chips from flaking off.

I do get some rusting on both the 2" and 4" but with a little care during coating... no issues thus far.

I do soak my brush in distilled water, then shake excess off the brush before coating (just as sandy mentioned). After I've coated a sheet of paper, I rinse it under warm water in the sink and then put it directly back in the cup of distilled water. Repeat for the next sheet of paper.

I've used loads of different brushes over the years (not photography related, but for actual painting) and ALL of them rust and flake paint. The benefit I've seen of the richeson is in the smoothness of coating and minimal amount of solution needed (on par with a coating rod in my experience)...
    they are expensive as all get out... but I've likely coated a few hundred big sheets of paper and love it for its consistency and mentioned benefits, makes the price fully worth it.
    Nigel Tufnel: It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none.
    None more black.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin