Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,533   Posts: 1,572,706   Online: 809

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Need help mounting/framing a VDB

Hi,

I have VDB that I turned out nice and want to mount it in such a manner that the deckled edges of the paper will show. I always tear my paper. It is a copy of a photograph taken in a photo-booth about 35 years ago. The subject is my sister when she was a teenager and who sadly passed away Sunday. The print is 5.5 x 7 on an 8x10 sheet of Arches HP watercolor paper. I plan on putting it in an 11x14 frame.

My question? If I mount the print on foamcore or matboard without an overmat, how do I keep the print from contacting the glass. Should I use narrow strips of matboard under the frame and between the glass and print?

The print will be displayed at the memorial service Saturday, so I need to move on this rather quickly.

thank you so much for your help.

tim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I don't dry mount any of the alternative prints. It can be hinged with linen tape to the backing board, and the window cut large enough to show the deckled edges of the paper. If you use 8 ply,or even 4 ply mount board for the window there should be no problem with the image touching the glass.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_bessell View Post
    Hi,

I have VDB that I turned out nice and want to mount it in such a manner that the deckled edges of the paper will show. I always tear my paper. It is a copy of a photograph taken in a photo-booth about 35 years ago. The subject is my sister when she was a teenager and who sadly passed away Sunday. The print is 5.5 x 7 on an 8x10 sheet of Arches HP watercolor paper. I plan on putting it in an 11x14 frame.

My question? If I mount the print on foamcore or matboard without an overmat, how do I keep the print from contacting the glass. Should I use narrow strips of matboard under the frame and between the glass and print?

The print will be displayed at the memorial service Saturday, so I need to move on this rather quickly.

thank you so much for your help.

tim
    You could also upsize the frame to 16x20 and use a regular mat, I have done this, and it is quite striking. The photograph doesn't get lost at all. Or you could consider just leaving the glass out, at least for now, for the service, and figure it out later.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Jim,

Do you ever find that the linen tape releases after some time, letting the print come loose?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yes, leaving the glass out has been suggested to me. thanX

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    you can also use something called interspacing. check your local framer to see it they will sell you a strip as it can only be purchased in large amounts from light impressions. it is place around the edge of the glass on the interior side so it protects the image from touching the glass.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks Ann, that's the first idea I had. I though I would cut narrow strips of mat board to fit inside the frame. I also though of a shadowbox, but I think that would be overkill.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Found this http://www.nedcc.org/resources/leafl...AndFraming.php about 3/4 of the way down the page "Mounting without a Window Mat" describes what Ann suggested.

Thanks All!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin