Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,459   Online: 1033

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Tricolor Bromoil ?

Hello,

I've searched the net a little, and found some people noted tricolor bromoil, but have yet to find instructions or a book. Does anyone have a suggestion where to start?

Thanks,
    Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A book by Leadly and Stegmeyer comes to mind. They discuss color bromoil among many other color printing methods. The book is probably out of print by now, it was published in the 40s.

PE

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    see if you can find Gene Laughter book "Bromoil 101". He does mention layering colors.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Martin,

Layering colors is quite different from tricolor or 4-color bromoil and gives a totally different effect. The book which PE refers to is "Making Color Prints" by Leadley and Stegmeyer - Little Technical Library, Ziff-Davis Publishing Co. - 1941, and long out of print. I got my copy on ebay. Producing 3 or 4 color bromoil prints is accomplished by the bromoil transfer process using either three or four separate matrices in perfect registration and requires an etching press. In the "good ole days" photo film was used for the matrices and since there was no shrink-swell factor, registration using inked film was a snap! This method, as described by Leadley and Stegmeyer, is no longer possible as film can no longer be used for inked matrices. It won't work! The alternates are to use fiber base "bromoil-friendly" papers and cross your fingers a bit re the registration due to shrink-swell ... or to use RC papers, which is tough, at best. My opinion: it's a quest that "ain't worth it!"

Should you continue on the road to 3 or 4 color bromoil prints, good luck!!!

Cheers,

Gene

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gene;

My copy is here somewhere buried under tons of "rubble". I bought it new off the shelf in about 1945 or thereabouts. Makes me feel old.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Gene;

My copy is here somewhere buried under tons of "rubble". I bought it new off the shelf in about 1945 or thereabouts. Makes me feel old.

PE
    We are!!!

gene

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Might be worth considering 3 or color gum prints. Not really the same look, but they can be manipulated a bit to get interesting prints. Sam Wang and Christine Anderson (?) both have articles on the subject at alternativephotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I appreciate all the feedback from everyone. It seems there is currently not a decent method to produce them, but perhaps in the longer term I'll give it a go nonetheless. Again, thank you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's not the method that is currently lacking - it's the materials.

Gene
    Last edited by Gene_Laughter; 11-13-2008 at 09:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene_Laughter View Post
    It's not the method that is currently lacking - it's the materials.

Gene
    Nice to see you posting, Gene.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin