Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,233   Posts: 1,532,904   Online: 983

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Success!
    I'm a happy man.
    I was WAYYYY overexposing my tintypes under the enlarger. I started out with 10 seconds up to several minutes. I was essentially getting no image. I finally figured out I was way overshooting the times. With the lens wide open, the correct time is 1 second, yes 1 second! I stopped it down two stops and settled on 4 seconds. Also, the instructions suggest 2 minutes in the develop. Try 12 minutes for the image to fully develop.
    I got my first successful image. Now I need to work on pouring the plates. I need to put a big sign in the darkroom that says "the emulsion does NOT to be shaken!" Air bubbles dontcha know.

Thanks for the comments, and I'll keep this updated.
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com
    Last edited by JBrunner; 11-16-2008 at 09:44 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Oops, my bad. Nothing affected.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by sdivot View Post
    Success!
    I'm a happy man.
    I was WAYYYY overexposing my tintypes under the enlarger. I started out with 10 seconds up to several minutes. I was essentially getting no image. I finally figured out I was way overshooting the times. With the lens wide open, the correct time is 1 second, yes 1 second! I stopped it down two stops and settled on 4 seconds. Also, the instructions suggest 2 minutes in the develop. Try 12 minutes for the image to fully develop.
    I got my first successful image. Now I need to work on pouring the plates. I need to put a big sign in the darkroom that says "the emulsion does NOT to be shaken!" Air bubbles dontcha know.

Thanks for the comments, and I'll keep this updated.
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

What about the drying time? Is this with a "tacky" plate? Or did they finally dry?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jason,
    The newly coated plates dried much quicker then the first ones. I think the first ones were coated too thickly. Also I dried the latest ones on end, instead of flat. Drying flat caused a pooling of the emulsion and a slower drying time.
    On a different note, my positives are absolutely consistent in their density and tone. It's amazing to see the different unique look you get with each plate, despite the consistent positives. I'm sure it has mostly to do with pouring the plates. I need to work on that!
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    can we see a photos os the work?

well done.
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.

lens photos here

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Cool, man! Let's see them!
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Soon, very soon.......
    :o)
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie gunks View Post
    can we see a photos os the work?
    It's hybrid, we can't do that here, right?...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Steve- you should check out the emulsion making forum here. You may wish to make your own emulsions for future work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was asked not to post the pics here. You can see two of them on my website, or one of them on Hybridphoto.com. These are just experiments playing around with old photos. Let me know what you think.
    Thanks for all the input.
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A few things...

You might add AMMONIUM THIOCYANATE to the developer rather than exhausted fixer, it may work better. You should check this thread out http://www.apug.org/forums/forum205/...rotypes-2.html

You also might want to thin your emulsion. The last time I made dry plate tintypes I mixed my emulsion like this

15ml Ilfotol solution (or properly diluted photo flo)
    15ml Everclear Alcohol
    45ml HOT Gelatin Solution

You may not need to thin it so much, I'm actually spraying the emulsion on which is an awful way to do it, but I do get nice even coats, which I've never been smart enough to achieve any other way...

Good Luck! Your images look nice.

Corey

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin