Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,075   Online: 738

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Question about modern tintype

Ok, I know how some feel about these "modern" tintypes. I have a very specific reason for using them. These are images that have been manipulated digitally, so I can't shoot in camera. Please don't flame me. I am an analog guy at heart. But this is one special project. Plus for health reasons (recent lung transplant, no sense of smell, etc, etc..) I don't want to tackle wet plate.
    Having made that disclaimer, I have a practical question for those who have used the modern tintype. I coated my plates two days ago and they are still tacky to the touch. How long does it take for them to dry before they can be printed??
    I put them in a paper safe to dry. I know they don't get much air circulation there, but I didn't think they would take this long to dry.
    Any suggestions/advice?
    Thanks,
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're not doing wet plate, what are you coating? What type of plate? Are you talking about the varnish coat or the emulsion coat? What do you mean by "printed"... Are these negatives? Need more information. Collodion will dry very fast, so if that's what you're talking about, something is wrong. Maybe you've used flexible collodion? Varnish should not be tacky after 2 days either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From the description given, my guess (and that is all it is) Steve is talking about coating plates with one of the emulsions light Liquid Light or something like it. If so then he would be either contact printing or using an enlarger to expose the plates - Is that correct Steve?

Even this way, I would not expect the plates to take more than two days to dry - even in Houston. As Bill mentioned I think someone here can help, but more information is needed. It's just too hard to troubleshoot from the information given thus far.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I bought some of the high contrast Liquid Light that was intended for use in the Rockland Tintype kits. I too experienced tackiness after 12 hours of drying. Plus it's harder to pour and coat since you have to do it under safelight conditions. If you MUST do tintypes, I'd recommend finding someone who can tolerate the chemicals of the process and have them handle that step for you, instead of doing the faux tintypes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sorry for the incomplete info guys. I am using the Rockland kit, except I mixed up the developer myself using Dektol and exhausted fix.
    I may have put on too thick a coat (it's my first time), because they are taking a long time to dry. I am coating the blackened metal plates that came in the kit.
    I have printed digital positives for contact printing using an enlarger. I use the PDN system for my PtPd and gum negatives, so I'm pretty familiar with doing this.

My first attempts today have not turned out so well. At first the images would not reverse in the fix. I added a bit more exhausted fix to the developer and I got some reversal, but the image looks very flat. It may be fogged, I'm not sure.
    I will coat more plates tonight and do a thinner coat. It's nice to be able to scrub the plates and re-use the failures.
    I'll keep you updated, if you'd like.
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Steve,

I've not tried the Rockland kit, but have heard mostly negative comments from those that have. That said, a former workshop student brought some plates to show that she had done with Rockland that were beautiful. She said her failures way outnumbered the successes, but the successes were sublime.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2013 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Kerik,
    Well, that's not encouraging. I've heard similar things, that's why I decided to mix up my own developer with Dektol and exhausted fix, instead of the kit stuff. It has not worked yet, so I decided to go ahead and use the kit developer. It's ripening as I write this. We'll see what happens.
    Frankly, I'm still trying to get the exposure time figured out with the enlarger. Anyone have any suggestions?

Instead of using the tintype kit, I wonder how it would look if I simply use liquid light on the metal plates? Probably like a normal silver gelatin photograph, without any of the character of the tintype.

Ah, there are so many variables....when doing fake tintypes...... But I really want to do this project that requires digital manipulation (please forgive me APUGer's).
    Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by sdivot View Post
    Kerik,
    Well, that's not encouraging. I've heard similar things, that's why I decided to mix up my own developer with Dektol and exhausted fix, instead of the kit stuff. It has not worked yet, so I decided to go ahead and use the kit developer. It's ripening as I write this. We'll see what happens.
    Frankly, I'm still trying to get the exposure time figured out with the enlarger. Anyone have any suggestions?

Instead of using the tintype kit, I wonder how it would look if I simply use liquid light on the metal plates? Probably like a normal silver gelatin photograph, without any of the character of the tintype.

Ah, there are so many variables....when doing fake tintypes...... But I really want to do this project that requires digital manipulation (please forgive me APUGer's).
    Steve
    Just simply leave the digital part out of the discussion as it seems your issues are with chemistry/darkroom. How you have arrived at your negatives is your own business, as long as you keep to analog topics here.

I wish I had something to add, but I'm not familiar enough with the process to offer anything useful beyond conjecture.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jason,
    Ok, no more discussion about the "D" word. The only reason I mentioned it was to avoid having folks respond by telling me to go out and shoot wet plate or real tintypes. Unfortunately, I can't do that for this project.
    Thanks,
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by sdivot View Post
    Jason,
    Ok, no more discussion about the "D" word. The only reason I mentioned it was to avoid having folks respond by telling me to go out and shoot wet plate or real tintypes. Unfortunately, I can't do that for this project.
    Thanks,
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com
    What you are trying to accomplish could use any type of negative, and there are good reasons why someone could want to do it with a "real" one in an enlarger. Going out with a regular film camera and making "tintypes" from the camera negatives/copy positives in the darkroom is an interesting idea. I am embarking on making 20x24 negatives from 4x5 for "cyanowhite" contact printing by making a 4x5 contact positive and then enlarging it onto 20x24 APHS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin