Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,273   Online: 848

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Printing on concrete

I am looking for any info anyone may have about printing on concrete. The process needs to be fairly simple without a large investment in equipment. This will be a large piece (8ft x 5ft). Would Liquid Light and a slide projector work? What about concretes high ph, as high as 13 when fresh?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've heard of folks using cyanotype for large projects like that, and I've experimented with satista on tile but a way is needed for proper fixing and washing out. The material absorbs the sensitiser too deeply.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'd think you need to let the concrete cure, use a concrete sealant, and then sub the surface for a liquid emulsion. I agree that raw concrete is too absorbent without sealing.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Cyanotype won't work on something with that high of a pH. They discovered way back when that prussian blue pigments can't be used in frescos without disappearing because of the pH...
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for the reply's. I really need all the help I can get. As someone once said "I know just enough to get into deep trouble".
    I was considering polishing the surface with diamond polishing pads. I can get a very smooth, shiny surface that way. Then flood the surface with concrete specific sealer 2 or 3 times. The sealer soaks in quit deeply. Having experience with this process, I believe it would work to prepare the surface.
    But what about the Liquid Lite and slide projector.
    The picture is quit simple in content but I would like to end up with a sepia type finish if possible

Shooter
    Large Format
    This sounds like quite an undertaking. Are you under the pump for a finish time? I hope not!
    Some thoughts:-
    Lateral thought: do you have to /want to work on concrete. If a covering eg wood is ok this may make life easier.
    Non-lateral thoughts: I think your best bet is going to follow your idea of polishing / sealing first. I'd also be thinking of a gelatin or similar sizing but that square footage will make it non-trivial to do this. Options to experiment with then would be cyanotype (your surface must be sealed++ and non-alkaline or as Heather says its bye-bye image), & liquid emulsions. Given the size I cant see anything else coming to the party. So to proceed: first I'd get a copy of Christopher James's book on Alternative processes: lots of info. Second, I would be making up a bunch of small slabs to experiment with, or if thats not possible at least experimenting small scale on the edges. Better to seal a square foot with something that makes your liquid light go all gooey and refuse to work....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How ever long it takes to get the results my mind sees will have to be soon enough.
    I like the idea of a utilitarian product used as art. To me photography is the saving a particularly special moment in time. I guess I am trying to write that moment in stone.
    bnstein, you are right, this will take a lot of trial and error.
    Given the size, I will not be using a transparency or stencil. Cost consideration is pushing me toward a slide projector. Anybody have any thoughts on type, brand, etc.?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I could see doing something with Kallitype, perhaps. Make an enlarged negative on some sort of transparency material. Coat at night. Put the negative down, glass plate, and cover with a blanket. Expose in the morning. Cover it with a blanket again. Process and fix that night. Just a thought.
    Neal

Shooter
    Large Format
    How do you plan on exposing your sensitized concrete? Liquid light is very slow and a slide projector is really not that bright, especially at distances required for the size enlargement you'd like to make. Oh....and then there's reciprocity failure with your enlargement times...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Why a slide projector? Enlargers are plentiful and cheap, and enlarging lenses are sharper and have less distortion than most projection lenses.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin