Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,171   Online: 974

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    hi..i'm new to alternative process work and am just about to delve into doing some Van Dykes..i've read alot of literature etc and nearly have everythng i need to get going..i shoot 8x10 negs and will start off using these..in all the literature i've read i can't seem to find how much coating solution (in mls or drops) to use? i would double coat for Van dykes and have a puddle pusher (but would switch to hake brush if its strongly recommneded)..could someone give me a ballpark amount in mls to use for coating an 8x10?

thanks in advance
    -andrew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Andrew,

As a general rule you will need between 1.5ml and 2.5ml of solution to coat a surace area of 8X10". The best coating brush is the Richeson, otherwise known as the "Magic Brush" Good Hake brushes work well, but absorb a lot of the sensitizer to you will need more solution with these kind of brushes.

The coating technique described by Aggie is very sound and will give good results regardless of the brush your use.

Don't ever leave puddles of sensitizer on the paper. Brush until all of the sensitizer is evenly distrubted and there are no more puddles, then leave for about 3-5 minute flat (better with a fan blowing on the sensitized paper), then hang to dry.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin