Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,697   Posts: 1,549,085   Online: 1093

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alt Paper Hacks

Shooter
    Large Format
    I dont think it will work if you fix it for the following reason: When you tone a kallitype yo do it before you fix it, to prevent fading of the image. That tells me that the silver that forms the image needs to be in some ionic state for the process to occur, or at least to proceed better.

Sure some people tone the kallitypes after fixing, but I get the feeling that the "fix" step is not really a complete one, after all you only put it in fixer for a few seconds a minute at the most. The tonning step has to be carried out to improve permanence, so this to me indicates that "ionic" unreduced silver has to be present.

As you say, we might have some excess silver, but perhaps this is not a bad thing, remember pd has a valence of 3 so it will require "more" silver to make a full image.

Of course all this is conjecture, only making a print and trying it out will tell the tale.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Jorge,

My impression was that the only reason that the toning was done before the fix was due to the fading of the image in the kallitype. Since this fading does not occur in a silver print, the sequence might not be an issue.

After the Kallitype is developed, it's cleared, and then toned, right? So what happens to a Kallitype if the toning is done with all the uncleared sliver still in the paper? Does the toner start to work on the uncleared silver also?

I'm thinking that since a silver print is not cleared until the fixer removes the silver, then there may be problems with staining associated with the uncleared silver in the paper.

Sounds like a fun experiment.

---Michael

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mutmansky
    Jorge,

After the Kallitype is developed, it's cleared, and then toned, right? So what happens to a Kallitype if the toning is done with all the uncleared sliver still in the paper? Does the toner start to work on the uncleared silver also?

I'm thinking that since a silver print is not cleared until the fixer removes the silver, then there may be problems with staining associated with the uncleared silver in the paper.

Sounds like a fun experiment.

---Michael
    yes, toned before fixing. The clearing baths are not the issue. OTOH is simply a matter of fixing a print and seeing if it works as well as before fixing.

I have never had any stain problems with kallitypes, I have difficulty making a good print, but that is another matter...:P

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie
    Vellum..... I have a roll right here! It is supposed to be sunny tomorrow with a 3 hour exposure I might actually get something.

Kerik, will you be doing another workshop this coming Spring in the Pacific Northwest?
    Annie - I am planning to teach a workshop next summer at the CAP in Issaquah. We haven't set the date yet, though. If you forward me your email address, I'll put you on my mailing list. What kind of vellum do you have? I like Clearprint, but have also had good luck with Staedtler-Mars.

Craig - thanks for your comments about my work. Did we meet at the opening? Toronto is a cool city.

Kerik
    www.kerik.com

Kerik,

I have a partial roll of heavyweight rag vellum of unknown pedigree.... just to try, then I will order something so I actually know what I am using. I will forward my e-mail address, Issaquah is not that far. You know someone should really start an Alt printing mentor program via mail. I am sure I am not the only person who would love to be able to put some negs, prints and a written summary with queries in a portfolio box... ship it out then receive feedback on process and answers to questions.... and most importantly.... pay for the privilege to do so!

Cheers Annie.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie
    You know someone should really start an Alt printing mentor program via mail. I am sure I am not the only person who would love to be able to put some negs, prints and a written summary with queries in a portfolio box... ship it out then receive feedback on process and answers to questions.... and most importantly.... pay for the privilege to do so!

Cheers Annie.
    Annie,

If you want to set up something like this, let's talk. Drop me an email and we'll take it from there.

Best,
    Kerik
    www.kerik.com

Splendid!! You will hear from me soon.

Regards, Annie.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin