Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,111   Online: 1085
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    fhovie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Port Hueneme, California - USA
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,247
    Images
    92
    Well -

    The Van Dyke process worked great - I made some 8x10 negs and a bunch of 4x5 from my files. Good ones were high contrast simple images and images that had an antique feel to them already. Same notes on the Cyanotype are that they look a lot grainier than the Van Dykes. Although they both looked great - I was more pleased with the Cyan - great contrast and sharpness - The blue on Cranes 8111 is very dark and it really brought out my negs. Selenium tone worked well (at the right dilution) and now I am ready to try aubumum. Making a contact interpositive of the neg and then blowing that up to 8x10 worked well - I got a little too much contrast on one - I'll probably need to use weaker developer on the 8x10 ortho (Arista) to get all the highlights.







    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

  2. #2
    roy
    roy is offline
    roy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    West Sussex
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,303
    A great start. I like the flower image which would be improved were the base of the vase to be made clearer. You must feel encouraged.
    Roy Groombridge.

    Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

  3. #3
    fhovie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Port Hueneme, California - USA
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,247
    Images
    92
    Sorry for the bad scan Roy - the base is there - at about zone 2.5
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,813
    Images
    5
    Hi Frank,

    Congratulations. Great start.

    Just a word about image permanence. Cyanotype is one of the most permanent of all processes so you don't need to worry at all about it. VDB, on the other hand, really should be toned for greater permanence. I recommend gold, platinum or palladium toning before fixing, but selenium after fixing would also provide greater permanence. Just in case you are interested the toning formulas that I provide in my article on kallitype at www.unblinkingeye.com would also work for VDB, and at the same strength.

  5. #5
    Aggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    So. Utah
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,925
    Images
    6
    ..

  6. #6
    fhovie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Port Hueneme, California - USA
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,247
    Images
    92
    Thanks Sandy and Aggie:
    I am not sure what caused the spot - I used the fixer formula in Sandy's artical for Kalitypes - I could try upping the does a little of Thiosulphate - it is at 50g / liter. The info on Unblinking eye gave me a lot of confidence to try this stuff and it was actually easier than I thought it would be. The woodland photo has a lot of detail and my not be such a good one for a process without a smooth emulsion. - I am ready for eggs now! I will be trying some bigger ones - I need to get a 12x15 contact frame. This is too much fun.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    North York, Ontario, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by fhovie
    I am not sure what caused the spot
    With VDB and Argyrotype I too get this 'spot' - usually happens when too much sensitizer has gone into the paper from uneven coating. Some papers are worse than others - Lenox has been problematic for me in this regard. Two 'light' coats sometimes helps.

    Cheers,
    Roger...

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,957
    Images
    1
    We had a VDB (and Cynotype) demo at camera club a while back and I inherited the left over chems. It's been sitting in my cupboard (in mostly darkened darkroom) for months and the other day I finally got around to trying it out.

    In our CC demo, we used a UV cooker (box with UV lamps) but I used the sunlight and when doing the VDB in sunlight I noticed something wonderful... I got to watch the reaction... After about 15-20secs the emulsion started changing colour from a light cream/brown to a dark tan. Not knowing what I was doing, and having read a book which mentioned 6-8 mins where required, I left the 1st one for about 5mins but decided that it was grossly overexposed as the image was disappearing, not getting better. The next one I cut back to about 3 minutes and it was much better although my inkjet enlarged negative had defects that showed up in the print. However, overjoyed that I could see something... I decided to stop exposure a bit after I could see that the reaction had taken place (all the emulsion changed to the dark tan colour... this happened in a bit over 1min) This produced the best image, although it's a tad light, especially the 'blacks' I might read up on the toning article mentioned above to see if I can improve it a bit.

    Overall though... what a great way to spend a couple of hours

  9. #9
    Aggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    So. Utah
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,925
    Images
    6
    ..

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,957
    Images
    1
    hehe! I never thought of that! ta

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin