Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,698   Online: 821

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pt/Pd prices

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't see the extreme cost in this process. You can make an 8x10 Palladium print with a drop of Na2 on a paper like Platine for about $4. If you are willing to buy in large quantities and keep track of market prices, you can make the process even more affordable.

As for the interest in pt/pd printing waning, the opposite is true. I've been teaching pt/pd for 11+ years and every year have had more students than the year before. Two of my workshops were overbooked this year and I have more offers for teaching than I can make time for. IMO the process is easy, fun, economical and most importantly beautiful. What's not to like?
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Also, you can tone the vandykes with palladium or platinum, which replaces the silver metal, and have for all practical purposes a print that is just as permanent as a pt/pd print made in the traditional way for a fraction of the cost.

One of the disadvantages of vandyke, at least with the green AFC, is that you have no contrast control. Not a problem if you make digital negatives, but can be a big problem with in-camera negatives where the contrast tends to range widely.

You might also consider true kallitype, which uses ferric oxalate as the light sensitive iron, like palladium and platinum. This process offers extensive tonal control with the dichromate contrast control method, which is also used by some with regular pt./pd. printing. I have an article on this at www. unblinkingeye. com, and also at the alternative photography site. http://www.alternativephotography.co...kallitype.html

With all these processes costs vary widely depending on whether you print with a kit or buy the metal salts in large quantity.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall View Post
    Really if one is just starting out I would think one crazy not to do Van Dykes instead. They have the same look and feel of PT/PD but are a fraction of the cost. Get a kit from the formulary or contact me and I can give you a list of what you need.

I use that in all my classes as it is just so easy to do with none of the pain of screwing up a $30 print for learning.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    ...I thought I'd check out doing some Palladium printing, but at the cost of the materials for an 8x10 print it's astronomical for an enthusiast.
    I use to silver gelatin printing, 16x20. The paper was about $2.20 a sheet, and I would burn thru a pack of ten to get a couple good prints (if I was lucky). The price has doubled since then.

So, for the price of a 16x20 silver gelatin print, one can make an 8x10 palladium/platinum print. So unless one gets trapped into the "bigger is better" mind-set, I consider the prices of the two processes to be about the same.

And one can always use 4x5 to learn the process!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It is my philosophy that the materials are always the cheapest part of making a print

Corey

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Also, you can tone the vandykes with palladium or platinum, which replaces the silver metal, and have for all practical purposes a print that is just as permanent as a pt/pd print made in the traditional way for a fraction of the cost.

One of the disadvantages of vandyke, at least with the green AFC, is that you have no contrast control. Not a problem if you make digital negatives, but can be a big problem with in-camera negatives where the contrast tends to range widely.

You might also consider true kallitype, which uses ferric oxalate as the light sensitive iron, like palladium and platinum. This process offers extensive tonal control with the dichromate contrast control method, which is also used by some with regular pt./pd. printing. I have an article on this at www. unblinkingeye. com, and also at the alternative photography site. http://www.alternativephotography.co...kallitype.html

With all these processes costs vary widely depending on whether you print with a kit or buy the metal salts in large quantity.

Sandy King

Excellent reminder Sandy, thank you.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What is the price of gold in these days?
    And, I had very good experiences with getting precious metal salts from precious metal separating companies (or do you call them metal refineries?). Here you pay the actual market price for the metal, plus some manufacture fee for the making of the salt.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Nice set of plots on price of Palladium -- at http://palladiumprice.org/palladium-price-history.html
    Palladium (and Platinum) hit a high last spring due to closure of several mines.
    Unfortunately the decrease in price is also shuttering several mines in South Africa starting this December.

with respect to B&S prices - they buy both Pd and Pt in coin form, and dissolve this in acid to start the process of making the necessary salts (per Discussions with Melody last spring). They do buy their coins on the spot market. They undoubtedly have to use the remaining coins in the safe and recover their costs prior to making new purchases. So buy up if you wish to see lower prices in the future ;-). Note that when the price rose, they kept the price low until they had to buy new coins.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Don12x20 View Post
    Nice set of plots on price of Palladium -- at http://palladiumprice.org/palladium-price-history.html
    Palladium (and Platinum) hit a high last spring due to closure of several mines.
    Unfortunately the decrease in price is also shuttering several mines in South Africa starting this December.

with respect to B&S prices - they buy both Pd and Pt in coin form, and dissolve this in acid to start the process of making the necessary salts (per Discussions with Melody last spring). They do buy their coins on the spot market. They undoubtedly have to use the remaining coins in the safe and recover their costs prior to making new purchases. So buy up if you wish to see lower prices in the future ;-). Note that when the price rose, they kept the price low until they had to buy new coins.
    I'd like to see Plat/Pall come down as well in Fact I've found small ways to reduce my use to curb the cost. With respect to B&S these guys are "the BOMB" so I pretty much stick to ordering from them. If I ever have a problem they spend whatever time I need to get it solved. Even replacing things that may or may not be their problem. Having them in my corner is worth the cost.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin