Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,995   Posts: 1,524,273   Online: 874

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pt/Pd prices

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Pt/Pd prices

I noticed that Pt and Pd prices have fallen to new multi-year lows in the commodities markets.

Shouldn't we be seeing a drop in retail prices for chemical solutions and powders as well?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I think the actual purchase of raw materials takes a while to see the results.

I found some on ebay the other day thanks to Jeremy Moore and after jumping through a few hoops purchased 50 grams of Palladium for 7.74 a gram. Now if I could find a similar deal on platinum!
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I saw that too, apparently its used in catalitic converters and with there being a downturn in car manufacturing the price has been going down for the last year or so, would be interesting to hear if bostick and sullivan will be able to pass on these savings.
    Last edited by Davec101; 12-12-2008 at 02:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Platinum Printing Editions http://www.dceditions.com
    The Art of Platinum Printing Blog http://artofplatinum.wordpress.com/
    Alternative Photographic Processes blog http://altphotoblog.com/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I imagine that buying expensive metals is a chancy thing for B&S...as prices rise, how much should they buy? Do they buy a bunch at $1500 so that their customers can afford to use it, in anticipation of the price going to $2000? Then if the price drops, they can't drop their price all the way down until they recoup their costs of what was bought when the price was high.

I'm just guessing that that is how it works -- being in that business during times like these would keep me up at night!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So that's why people are stealing catalic converters out of cars so much around here. I thought the thiefs were drug addicts but apparently they are just poor Pt printers.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    How much does one get out of a converter?
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall View Post
    How much does one get out of a converter?
    I usually get two 8x10's per converter.

On a different topic, cars in my neighborhood seem to be getting louder lately. I wish people would keep their cars properly running.

Vaughn

Edited...PS...3 to 7 grams per converter. The auto industry is trying to find ways to reduce this by 70 to 90% by using nano-particles of the metals. Seven grams = about 0.25 oz, so when platinum hit $2000+ an ounce, that's $500 worth of platinum!

Obviously I need to improve my extraction method -- I should be able to get a whole portfolio of 8x10 prints out of one converter! If not several editions of a portfolio! :o There is only 5 grams of platinum salts in a 25 ml bottle! (And I have no idea how much of the platinum metal that represents).
    Last edited by Vaughn; 12-12-2008 at 02:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Nice!
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Reading the latest View Camera magazine articles on Alternative processes, I thought I'd check out doing some Palladium printing, but at the cost of the materials for an 8x10 print it's astronomical for an enthusiast. It was enlightening in reading that in the heyday of the art the cost of materials again was the limiting factor in the furtherance of the medium for enthusiasts, and besides what alternatives might be coming to the market at a lesser cost, caused the decline of the PT/PD medium overall. Maybe at the prices we're seeing in the market there will be a decline in interests again and the medium will fade? Surely many cannot experiment in this economy at the prices I'm seeing for supplies. Maybe history is repeating itself?
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Really if one is just starting out I would think one crazy not to do Van Dykes instead. They have the same look and feel of PT/PD but are a fraction of the cost. Get a kit from the formulary or contact me and I can give you a list of what you need.

I use that in all my classes as it is just so easy to do with none of the pain of screwing up a $30 print for learning.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin