Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,921   Online: 995

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ironing cyanotype on fabric?

Can you iron fabric that has been cyanotyped? How would it affect it? What if it was tea-toned?

Just starting to experiment with fabric. Any advice appreciated.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think you could. Cyanotype stands up to dry mounting, so you could probably get away with an iron low setting, or put it in a press at about 180f. Of course any abrasion is just that, so a measure is a measure. Just don't wash it in any detergent that has phosphates!
    Last edited by JBrunner; 01-03-2009 at 10:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can.
    I printed cyanotypes on silk and ironed them, and not only once. I even used the steam (otherwise I would not get rid of the crinkles), but did take care to iron only the backside and to use a neutral baper base on the ironing table.

The problem with cyanotypes on silk is rather how to get them anywhere near strait in a frame, or on a canvas frame for that matter.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin