Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,551   Posts: 1,573,102   Online: 764

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Love Ansco 47

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    As films & processing changed so did the papers.

So using older formulae for enlarging won't really be beneficial. The reverse of the problem is it's very hard to achieve the same qualities from 20's, 30's, 40's negs with modern papers.

ian
    (note: emphasis added to the quoted text)

Ah, yes. That makes perfect sense. Hadn't thought of it that way. It explains much really. Thanks.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    OOPS I forgot to mention just in case anyone was thinking of trying the formula, it is supposed to be diluted 1-1. I generally do dilute it but on occasion I use it straight.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    I guess the question that always bothers me has to do with the compromise...are the fine grain developers really "better"? If I develop my 4x5 negs in d-76...am I missing out on something that I might have gotten in a MQ-carbonate developer of old? Speed comes to mind...but, what else?

In other words, If I am projection printing a 4x5 negative (not alt process) and am willing to accept some grain, what can I get in return (by using an old formula)?
    I do not know enough about what makes a good neg for scanning. But (to name only one name I can remember) look at the images posted on this site in the past by Brumellisa to see what 4x5 Tri-xP and D76 can look like.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    I do not know enough about what makes a good neg for scanning. But (to name only one name I can remember) look at the images posted on this site in the past by Brumellisa to see what 4x5 Tri-xP and D76 can look like.
    Thanks John. I use that combo quite often (actually, I prefer d-76 1+1). So would only need to look at the prints in my hallway.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    In my experience Ansco 47 is similar to but slightly contrastier than DK-50 or HC-110. It does nice things with softly lit white background product stuff. It falls into the commercial developer catagory with the aforementioned and D-61a and others.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin