Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,877   Posts: 1,520,263   Online: 1153

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

uv light source for alt process

I just recieved my parcel from B&S and have realised that the UV bulbs supplied aren't going to work over here in the UK because of the voltage difference. Does anyone know what light source would be suitable to use in the UK? I've found these but want to double check here before proceeding http://www.bltdirect.com/product.php?pid=349

Thanks, Gareth

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use compact fluorescent lamps in my UV box. I chose spirals, but there is no reason why linear bulbs would not work.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depending on what you have invested in light bulbs, would a voltage converter make any sense? Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the same as you've link to, only 25W/BC, here. I use 9 of them in my UV light box.

You may be able to use a step down transformer (230v to 110v). I have a couple of electronic appliances from the US which use such a transformer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Step Down Transformers; here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Eurobatteries sells up to 3000W step down transformers:

http://shop.eurobatteries.com/power-...s-c-45_61.html

Tom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Trevor, I'll get those ones then. About your light box, did you make it yourself? Is it worth me getting my cousin to make me one or shall I just go for 2 lamps to begin with? i'm just doing 10x8's for starters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarvman View Post
    Thanks Trevor, I'll get those ones then. About your light box, did you make it yourself? Is it worth me getting my cousin to make me one or shall I just go for 2 lamps to begin with? i'm just doing 10x8's for starters.
    Gareth, I made my own from a bedside cupboard I bought from a house clearance shop. See pic.

You can try a couple of lamps to see how things go, but it depends on what alternative process you are using. I wanted mine for Pt/Pd printing so I knew I would need a fairly high light output. My 9x25W UV lamps give me an average exposure of 5 minutes with the contact print frame at a distance of 6" from the lamps. You can also use UV tubes, most people do but I wanted this setup for other forms of contact printing. So when I don't want UV lighting I simply remove the UV lamps and replace them with a 75W opal lamp. The whole setup is connected to an enlarger timer.

I don't go any larger the 8x10 but the cabinet will take 12x16".

Hope this is of some help?

Trevor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UV light box 1.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I looked at the B&S site, but I couldn't determine what kind of lamps they use. If they are standard fluorescents, you could swap fixtures or just ballasts for ones designed for your line voltage and frequency. The same applies for arc lamps. If it uses compact fluorescents, you can probably find a local source for replacements that will work (try a web search for fluorescent lamps). A step down transformer may work, but ask a lighting contractor first. US made fixtures are designed for 60Hz current, while most European systems are 50Hz. That could make a difference with inductive ballasts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's great help Trevor, thanks a lot again. I'm getting into pt/pd myself but will also be using it for cyanotypes too. How did you rig the lights up to an enlarger timer? that's a very sweet idea. My cousin is making me a 12x16 contact printing frame so an exposure unit the same size as yours would be ideal. likewise, I'd like the opportunity of printing larger than 10x8 if I wanted to. Initially I was just going to use 2 lamps with uv bulbs either side of the print, would that idea have fallen flat on its face? Could you give me the exact dimentions of the cabinet please. I'll go order the bulbs today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin