Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,728   Online: 892

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Mixing Sodium Citrate for PT/PD

I need to mix more sodium citrate for developing platinum/palladium prints. In doing a search I have found how to make it from citric acid and sodium carbonate, but I already have dry sodium citrate. I vaguely recall 300mg per liter of water, but can't be sure of that. Any help would be appreciated.
    ". . . photographing as a two-way act of respect. Respect for the medium and letting it do what it does best- describe. And respect for the subject in describing it as it is. A photograph must be responsible to both."-- Garry Winogrand

"Art is just a Series of Natural Gestures."-- John Marin

My Platinum Printing Blog

My WEBSITE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I think I found it. Can anyone confirm that it is in fact 453.59g of sodium citrate to 710ml of Water (1 pound sodium citrate to 24 oz. of water)?
    ". . . photographing as a two-way act of respect. Respect for the medium and letting it do what it does best- describe. And respect for the subject in describing it as it is. A photograph must be responsible to both."-- Garry Winogrand

My WEBSITE

Shooter
    Large Format
    300 grams to one quart according to The New Platinum Print by Weese and Sullivan.

Wm Blunt

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    It has been ten years since I nearly failed algebra but I am fairly sure about the math; isn't 300g per 32 fl. oz. about half as strong as 16 oz per 24 fl. oz?

300g/946ml*2= 6.34249
    and
    453.59/709.56=6.39255

So I should just dilute it 1:1 if I were impatient and mixed 1 pound to 24 fl.oz.?

I have only been printing platinum/palladium for a few months. Does anyone know the affect of using a too strong developer? If not then I will try it and see before I go diluting my solution.

My WEBSITE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Boutwell View Post
    It has been ten years since I nearly failed algebra but I am fairly sure about the math; isn't 300g per 32 fl. oz. about half as strong as 16 oz per 24 fl. oz?

300g/946ml*2= 6.34249
    and
    453.59/709.56=6.39255

So I should just dilute it 1:1 if I were impatient and mixed 1 pound to 24 fl.oz.?

I have only been printing platinum/palladium for a few months. Does anyone know the affect of using a too strong developer? If not then I will try it and see before I go diluting my solution.
    I did fail algebra but I found another book that states 500 grams to 1.5 liters water so you do the math.........sorry.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Boutwell View Post

300g/946ml*2= 6.34249
    and
    453.59/709.56=6.39255

Either 300 grams to 32 oz. or to one liter won't make any difference i doubt. The print will develope in a few seconds and the rest of the time in the developer will help clear the print easier.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    500g:1500ml is basically the same as 300g:946ml, which means the solution I mixed earlier is still about twice as strong as it should be.

Though, I DID end up with a total 32 oz of solution after it was mixed.
    Last edited by Richard Boutwell; 01-09-2009 at 04:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

My WEBSITE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    So, how do you make sodium citrate? How much citric acid and sodium carbonate?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    So, how do you make sodium citrate? How much citric acid and sodium carbonate?
    Try Here: http://tinyurl.com/9k5y85

My WEBSITE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin